Parasite Identification/treatment

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;254449 said:
Can you dip coral in malachite green to kill the velvet while not harming the coral?
nvm, after a bunch of research there is no safe dip to cure the coral if it is a carrier.

sethsolomon;254450 said:
nvm, after a bunch of research there is no safe dip to cure the coral if it is a carrier.
I looked into it as well and it seems like the best way to make sure the coral doesn't carry over the parasite is to let the tank run fallow. It looks like the life cycle for velvet remains in the trophont stage (the only one that would be on coral and rock) for 3ish days, meaning that my corals should be safe for other people after say a week of fallow? The free swimming stage is the longest possible stage remaining there for up to 30, so to put fish back in I would need to leave it fallow for 40ish days? I sold some golf stuff so I got the cash I needed to set up the QT. Now I have to catch all the fish. The clowns are a piece of cake, but the Purple tang and Foxface will probably be pretty tough. I tried a fish trap, but can't get them to go in. Any suggestions?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stop feeding them. Leave the trap in there all the time. Put some tasty mysis in there. Even if you don't have time to catch them, get them used to eating out of the trap. Eventually, they will all go in.

Besides getting the fish to eat pellets, I also get them eating out of the trap in QT. It makes this more handy.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Parasite Identification/treatment

Use Bayer Advanced on corals. Not sure about your fish.... sorry for your troubles....

Sent from my C771

sethsolomon;254565 said:
No because I will never even play with the idea of introducing marine velvet into a tank.
It is tough not to unless you have a fallow QT tank for corals/LR and another QT for fish. You have to leave fish in QT for 4+ weeks and even then it can still get in, so to truly make sure you aren't introducing ich/velvet you would need to treat with copper. You would need to leave coral in QT for 60-72 days. I know 1 person that does this. But for the most part, a lot of us don't have space/patience to maintain a coral only QT tank. Major Major props to anyone who has a sweet QT program that utilizes all of this. I always though that pre-treating with copper wasn't worth it, so I stuck to just watching the fish... Look where that got me. Live and learn I guess. It's possible that I got it from a new coral, but it's not terribly likely.