Phosban VS GFO

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been thinking about buying/building a gfo/phosban reactor and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which is better, more affordable or longer lasting... please discuss, and let me know if you know of a used reactor for sale (although new for $40.00 is not too bad).

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd definitely go with brs gfo. Much Cheaper rout than phosban and both are gfo.

Also, I have a used reactor with pump if you want it. $30 I'll even throw in a bit of gfo to get ya started.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Now most people who run gfo also run carbon, is that recommend? I have a magnum canister that I could run carbon in, Should I be running carbon anyway?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I run both, I do about 1/2 the recommend amount of both in the same reactor. I have the carbon in a zipper bag from aqua medic for changing out at different times.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was just reading an article , and it sounds like I can just run a media bag of carbon in my filter sock without the need to set up the magnum... hmmmm..

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
RefferMatt;184152 said:
I was just reading an article , and it sounds like I can just run a media bag of carbon in my filter sock without the need to set up the magnum... hmmmm..
It won't be as effective but you could

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do both carbon and GFO, and like them in seperate chambers since GFO is changed monthly, and carbon bi-weekly. Michael's bag way would work too. I also buy the high capacity (HC) GFO from Bulk Reef Supply. Reason to spend the extra $ is HC GFO is rechargable. The normal GFO breaks down to much. I've used GFO 7x already, really saves on long term costs as you'll spend more on that then the reactor itself. Good luck

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I heard something about baking gfo in the oven, is this the HC GFO?

" Despite popular belief, carbon does not need to be placed in a canister filter or a compartment where all tank water passes through it. Dropping a mesh bag full of carbon into the sump works fine. This is because carbon works by electrically attracting particles- it is not an inert mechanical filter. Studies have shown that bags of carbon in a sump with moderate flow removes substantial quantities of organic pollutants, medications, and heavy metals. Actual performance depends on the flowability of the bag material. It is most effective if you use a media bag with the largest possible hole sizes but small enough where the carbon cannot escape"

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Excuse my ignorance, what's the benefit of running GFO and carbon? When do you need to make the jump, and start doing it? Something only run on larger tanks, or??

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;184157 said:
Excuse my ignorance, what's the benefit of running GFO and carbon? When do you need to make the jump, and start doing it? Something only run on larger tanks, or??
The article I linked earlier explains carbon pretty well, GFO is for Phosphate reduction.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;184147 said:
I'd definitely go with brs gfo. Much Cheaper rout than phosban and both are gfo.

Also, I have a used reactor with pump if you want it. $30 I'll even throw in a bit of gfo to get ya started.
I have class in Greeley on Monday, if you are around I would love to pick up that reactor.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think ovens can get up to a temp high enough to reactivate GFO.
If you can find an oven that gets up to 1000F or so, then you might be able to reuse the GFO.
Don't take my word for it though. I think Randy Holmes Farley has mentioned the temperature necessary
to bake the GFO.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'll be around in the evening. If you find out the temp needed I am sure I can achieve it... Unless it is more than 3000 f lol

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I researched and read a really long thread on RC - basically it uses 4 heaping plastic tea spoons of Lye (I first used drain cleaner, the 100% pure kind from Home Depo; later bought Lye on-line). Mix 4 cups of GFO (exhausted), with 1/2L of water, and 4 teaspoons of Lye. Mix around for a few days, rinse really well with water (RO in all cases) and ta-da, it's regenerated. The article says use a reactor, but I use an old plastic coffe can, this leaves me room to swish it arround several times a day. Alot of folks complained about the pumps buring out quick with the base of the Lye. I feel the article uses way more water then needed... but that's just my opinion.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/foiling-phosphate

I think lanthanum looks like a solid approach for phosphate reduction. If I run into an ongoing phosphate issue again, I will do use it without question. I had researched and planned to try it, then started anew with my rock. I ran in circles getting phosphate out of the source of my system (old tank rock), after installing RODI then vinegar washing everything I had that touched water but still seeing it in my test results.

The benefit is that it precipitates phosphate immediately, so it can be caught in a sock filter and exported immediately. GFO etc just binds it, although can be an export method but is extremely expensive as one in comparison to lanthanum. Lanthanum can also pull out phosphates lightning fast compared to GFO or macroalgae - it's as simple as dosing and removing the resulting precipitate. For example, dripping it in the skimmer intake then adding a sock to the output.

Just a thought...

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally drip lanthanum once a month before I change out my GFO. I put 5ml into 2 lts of water, and drip it over a period of a day, into a 5 micron sock. I have to change the sock 2-3x since it gunks up, but I wash them seperately with bleach (sometime soak in peroixide too) and reuse. Your alk will take a hit, so I buffer it to 10dkh before I drip.

On topic, I also read that Phosban can be regenerated, but you have to buy thier product. Never tried it so I can't say if it works or is economical. Good luck.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will look into Lanthanum as it sounds interesting! I want to thank Mike Lemke for the reactor and media! As always, thanks for hooking me up, but furthermore, your tank always inspires me to come home and work on mine!!