Phosban VS GFO

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome that you have experience in actually using Lanthanum D&M. Sorry I'm off topic but would be interested to hear if you think it would be worth trying as a sole Phosphate reduction path and just stopping GFO. Maybe I'll PM you about this when I start my phosphate control.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would be interested to hear more about this product, so feel free to jack this thread!!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol...ok, good to hear RefferMatt...i thought you might be interested (which is why I first posted for your thread) but didn't want to assume it was ok to jack! so thanks for confirming.

I believe a lot of people out there use this SeaKlear pool product, but maybe D&M will let us know what he uses.

http://www.poolsonly.com/sea-klear-zero-phos/prod_311.html

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SeaKlear pool product is what I use (ordered from Amazon ~$35). The RC threads mention to use the 10 micron, but I decided to be more detailed and use a 5 micron sock. Initially, it clogs up more, but I feel that means it's doing a better job. That's just me. As far as using it as your primary use of PO4 reduction. I think there are folks that do. There was a level of deminishing returns though, meaning it doens't work that great whne phosphates are .08 and lower. There was a lot of chemistry talk to that point but it was way over my head. Lastly, there is a lot of bad info out there - Lanthanum doesn't impact sponges or clean up crew. All of them thrive in my tank. I think it's an issue if you don't use the sock.

My recommendation is if you attack PO4, you have to ensure to address NO3 as well. I have a sulfur reactor, but as with most methods in this hobby, a lot of different options to do the same thing - so I'm not saying use SeaKlear or a sulfur reactor... they both work for me - just know there are more ways to skin the cat.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
wow. excellent to have you share your experience with lanthanum. thanks!