Phosphates?

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
I lost my goby to cyano. He really didn't like the gunk in the sand and stopped sifting. Litter bugger would eat frozen food but would spend too much time chasing a piece in the current instead of eating what he could get. Keep on an eye on yours, hopefully yours will be a bit brighter than mine was.

I had the same issue except it continued once I got my levels stable. I slightly cheated and picked up something at Elite that cleared it up overnight. Did make my water look like it was radioactive for a few hours though.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
After doing 3 days of lights out, increasing the flow a bit and lowering my feeding amount slightly, my cyano has all but vanished from the tank. I didnt have a huge outbreak like I have had in the past, but seem to have headed it off before it became a real issue. Might help with yours to do the lights out for a few days too, depending on how heavy of an outbreak you have it could potentially eliminate it, or at the very least slow the spread of it down enough for other things to catch up

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Picked up some chemiclean and dropped some in today. Made my skimmer go crazy and overflow. Glad it happened while I was in my classroom. I'll be doing a hefty water change in a couple of days along with running some GFO. We'll see what happens.

MuralReef;323887 said:
I'm afraid lights out would mess too much with my corals.
When I was battling hair algae I had my lights off for three days in a fully stocked 180 and all the corals were fine

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
MuralReef;323887 said:
Not really. I do a few days of lights out at least once a month. It actually helps quite a bit to keep pest stuff under control. Its also seems to help corals and stuff a bit as it somewhat simulates cloudy days which are quite normal on a real reef. I started doing that back when I was battling GHA in my tank and think it has done quite a bit toward keeping the fish and the coral much more healthy.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My tanks have been without lights for over a week before during ice storms in the midwest. Everything was fine. The lights-out is not a cure, but maybe a reset... have a plan for what to do to solve the root cause. GFO is a good idea once the cyano/algae dies off and releases the P back into the water column.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
A lot of the cyano has not regrown today. I will start running GFO later today to lock up the phosphates. Large water change tomorrow and I will throw a huge sack of Chemipure Elite in later this week.
I also threw in a WP40 to add a cross current.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Balz3352;323962 said:
Just don't over do the gfo.... And just in case you didn't know there is gfo in chemipure elite. I do not mean any insult I just don't want anyone else to crash their tank due to big shift in phosphates like mine has
No offense taken. I appreciate when people chime in based upon their experience. That is what this is all about anyway.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;323962 said:
Just don't over do the gfo.... And just in case you didn't know there is gfo in chemipure elite. I do not mean any insult I just don't want anyone else to crash their tank due to big shift in phosphates like mine has
I didn't realize that had GFO in it. Thanks for pointing that out.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;323887 said:
Lights out has never messed with any of my corals with the exception of my anemone. It didn't really show any physical issues from the lights out, but moved so much that it severely damaged several of my corals and I'm honestly surprised it didnt get sucked into my powerheads. If you dont have a nem that can wander, lights out for a max of 3 days if perfectly fine IME