Poor man's dosing

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can not find them, however I was reading a post on one of the other sites and people are using the Preston Driveway heat and Road Runner Ice Melt both safley

The Road Runner Ice Melt does contain Magnesium Chloride but it also contains Calcium Chloride and does not state the exact percentages of individual products; simply says a proprietary blend. Am I overlooking something? Do you know of any other alternatives that simply contain the magnesium portion?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I was reading on the other forum let me try to find the other place where I was reading it. You can use Preston Driveway Heat as well, it is refrenced by Dr. Farly

Awesome! Thanks for the link, was able to see that Road Runner is mostly Mag Chloride with a very small percentage of Calcium Chloride. I've definitely seen the regular version at Walmart but will have to check if it was the pet-friendly kind.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea check petsmart and petco as well they usually sell the pet friendly stuff there.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know this is an old thread but there is a place in denver that sells the dow flake randy recommends. It can be found at rio grande building supply $20 for 50 pound bag.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek dont know enough about brs really to comment other than I looked online at them and they were expensive IMO compared to randy holmes farleys recipe. Just know how hard I looked for that stuff that he used I had to go with it because it was an accoplishment just to find it lol.

I'm going to be picking up some MgCl2 and maybe some sulfate from BRS. They are supposedly pharmaceutical grade so you are paying for the purity. For the ability to be lazy with water changes and not having to worry about heavy metal buildup from sub-par chemicals I'd say it is worth the cost.