Problems with Cal, Alk and Mag levels

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont usually wait until all the clouding is gone maybe not the best thing but it has never appeared to make a difference

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your dosing 90 ml of mag a day??? I haven't touched mine in over a year and I'm stable around 1350. Mostly sps though so I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow alot of you guys are dosing WAY TO MUCH!!! wholly **** a gallon of cal and alk lasts me 2 months at least and my par are perfect you guys are using that in a week! Ppl get hung up on dosing and its unnecessary to be dosing that much. Do regular water changes, once a week and dose far less. In my opinion you should do a few rapid water changes and i bet you see a big difference! Just my opinion

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was\am fighting briopsys, trying to get my mag up to 1600, in addition my alk was around 6dkh, with the dosing my briopsys is going away and my alk has come up with dosing 25-30ml of Alk via dosing pump its right around 9 and holding now. I do a %10 water change every week. I didnt start out with that much mag, just kept increasing it slowly until my Mag started to increase slowly.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lefird;165370 said:
What is briopsys?
A nuisance algae that pretty much no snail, crab, etc will take to eating. Starts off looking like hair algae...but typically "branches" off the main node instead of growing in clusters of long strands. Increasing Mg keeps it in check...1500 ppm of Mg tends to knock it out.

edit: lol...I type slow

So I've been looking at the BRS dosing calculator and its telling me I need to add 1600ml of Cal, 1050ml of Alk and 3900ml of Mag to get my levels at, Cal-450, Alk-9 and Mag-1450. Wow! How long should I take to add that amount? Several things i've read say not to increase these more than a certain amount per day.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Raise your mag first. 100ppm a day at most. Continue with alk ca dosing as your mag raises your other values will start to come up. You want to raise your alk and ca much slower. Be ready to dose mag again in short period because typically you will get a growth explosion in my experience.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

powdermonkey

Butterfly Fish
lefird;165455 said:
So I've been looking at the BRS dosing calculator and its telling me I need to add 1600ml of Cal, 1050ml of Alk and 3900ml of Mag to get my levels at, Cal-450, Alk-9 and Mag-1450. Wow! How long should I take to add that amount? Several things i've read say not to increase these more than a certain amount per day.
Remember that is if you are using their products. I would have to do some research as it has been to long ago for me to remember how much to increase per day.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef central has a sticky in chemistry forum that let's you put in the specific chemical your using.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are using the brs calculator it says on the left side how much u can safely increase each per day