Pump specs?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a random thought- not sure if this will work. Could you temporarily employ the ATO line as a second saltwater line for water changes? So you'd be pushing your saltwater through the two 1/4 inch lines and move more water faster while reducing the strain on the pump.

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, the 4.9gpm / 60psi pump overheated on my third water change attempt. It had plenty of head pressure but overheated while trying to push water through the 1/4 line.

What I need is a DC (variable speed) pump with good head pressure. Then again, what do I know?

Last edited by a moderator:

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Need engineer-type help on the line.

I'm going to replace the 1/4 inch (exterior) line with a step up, which won't take too big a chunk out of my floor. I think the line I found is 3/8, with a 1/4" interior diameter.

Will that be enough to stop the hammering?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Could you draw a picture? You description is slightly unclear.

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm trying to pump mixed saltwater from basement about 50 feet, about 8-9 feet vertically, into my first floor sump. Right now I'm using a 1/4 line (interior dimension is smaller than that, of course), and am considering putting a 3/8" line (that's got a 1/4" interior dimension). Trying to figure out if that's big enough to stop the line from "hammering".

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why. Not just sell your current pump and put the money towards one that will do it? Are you also trying to use it to run RO water to your top off?

dweeb

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, I have enough water pressure in the line for RODI ATO.

Already bought the pump, and frankly, no one can tell me a pump that will work with the 1/4" line (Most on this post said to upgrade the line size).

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That pump might be too small for the amount of work you want it to do. That’s probably why it’s hammering. I’m sure your head height is over 12’ including travel up from your basement where it sits and then over your tank. I’m using a panAm and it works great for my change station.