QT size?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the time has come that I feel that I should probably set up a QT just so I can prevent disease in my DT. My tank is only a 40 breeder, so do you guys think that I can get away with just using a 10 gallon aquarium with filter, light and heater and just use that as the QT? Or should I just do a little bigger? The tank will probably end up in my closet because I am on the top floor of my house and I don't want to put the tank in the basement.

So do you think that a 10 gallon tank will be big enough for the fish I plan on putting in my DT? I'm planning on a pair of clowns, 2 firefish, a blenny or 2, maybe some cardinal fish I'm not really sure yet. I'm slowly learning saltwater but I have no idea what kind of fish I can put in a 40 breeder. If i know those fish then that may help judge the size of my QT.

I will take any help you guys have, also what chemicals to use to treat the fish to prevent any disease. I would like to know everything that you guys know if you are willing to type that much haha.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think a 10 gallon should work just fine for the fish you listed. I would only QT a max of 2 fish at a time though. The thing you are going to have to consider is ammonia and cycle control. I personally put sponges in my DT's sump so when I need a active biological bed I have one ready for QT. If this is not a option for you I would suggest cycling the QT first otherwise you might be doing daily water changes to keep the ammonia down.

As far as treatment; I always start with Prazipro for 5 days then I do a 100% water change and treat with nitrofurazone for 1 week. I observe the fish for another 1-2 weeks and if anything else pops up I treat when needed. Some also treat with copper however I just watch for signs and only treat if necessary since copper is very hard on fish. I also make sure the fish is eating well and eating out of the water column vigorously before putting it in the display tank.

HTH - if you have anymore questions let me know.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So to prevent the ammonia being to high, could I put live sand and some live rock in the tank to keep the cycle going between adding new fish?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A piece of rock would work well. May want to get opinions from others on whether or not to use the same piece of live rock in your QT throughout that process...there are pros and cons. I'd avoid sand in the QT though; bare-bottom is preferable as it's easier to clean the tank between treatments and will allow you to more easily identify any parasites that the fish may shed during treatment.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I actually use live rock in my QT tank as well but most recommend against it (hence why I didnt initially mention it). Reason being is because some medications (copper especially) get absorbed by the rock so its important to watch your levels if you decide to use rock. I like to use rock for a couple of reasons. 1: to ensure that there is enough bacteria in the QT encase enough hasn't colonized on the sponge I use from the sump (this has never been a issue but better safe than sorry). 2: It gives the fish a place to graze while in QT.

When I am done QT'ing the fish I break the tank down, clean it and put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with water and a powerhead. I then throw in 1 cube of food per week into the bucket so the bacteria colonies population stays relatively high.

Do not use sand for the reasons mentioned above.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tyson that'd be awesome is there anything you would trade for it so it's mine? Lol then I won't need to tear it down and give it back

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found a 50w heater that came with my 10g. So tank, hob, acrylic hood, heater. Let me know.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think there is a guy on Craigslist that is willing to trade a frag of my paly for either a 10 or a 20 setup. I'm just not sure on what size because on my room limitations. But thank you for the kind offer

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I'm trying to see if someone on Craigslist is up for a trade, and then hopefully when petco's $1/gal sale rolls around I can setup another tank haha

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll trade too, just FYI.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Corals of some type. PM me.

Drew

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also I'm just curious for when I get/set up my quarantine tank, what chemicals do you guys all use. I looked up the ones djkms was talking about, but what else do other people use? I know that copper can be really hard on a fish so what else should I use?