Reefuel - Feed Your Reef

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

The goal is to bring you the best foods for your reef both alive and frozen. The frozen blend is still being worked on but it will include top shelf ingredients which will feed your whole reef. From 5 microns to 1/4" pieces.

The phytoplankton will come in 16oz 32oz and still trying to find a good bottle around 64oz.

Available at:

Elite Reef

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I smell a competitor for rod's food........
And hurry up with them prices :D

Last edited by a moderator:

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet Chris, looking good.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
is this your company? if so, I like it... free trial offers for masc members? "it's like beer for your reef"

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hahaha... It's like beer for your reef...

Chris can I pick a bottle up at your place or would you rather wait till you deliver to a store?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;95794 said:
I smell a competitor for rod's food........
And hurry up with them prices :D
Thanks! I want to make a frozen food BETTER than the competition at a cheaper price. Dont get me wrong, Rods is great but looking at the ingredients I think I can do better :)

I will probably have enough stock to do "mass production" in about a month. Once that happens I will probably not sell direct here on MASC but through your LFS or sponsors. Until then the introductory prices are as follows:

16oz Phytophix - $10 (nano size bottle)
32oz Phytophix - $15
64oz Phytophix - $25

16oz Zoostew - $15

B-Willz;95816 said:
Nice work. I need both phyto and zoo. How soon do you think until its ready.
I have both ready now

Denvercherub;95821 said:
are those going to come in nano sizes ever?
The 16oz phyto and zoo are both "Nano" sizes

SAZAMA;95825 said:
is this your company? if so, I like it... free trial offers for masc members? "it's like beer for your reef"
Not quite a company yet. I might give out free samples of the frozen food once I get the recipe exactly how I want it.

wicked demon;95836 said:
I smell a new sponsor.....looks slick brother man!
If this actually picks up and becomes a side income for me like expected, you bet!

KhensuRa;95846 said:
Chris can I pick a bottle up at your place or would you rather wait till you deliver to a store?
Bottle of what? Phyto? Zoo? I have both available this weekend. Hit me up.

Thanks guys!

I like making my own frozen food and I've been messing around with trying my own version of Rogger's reef food that's superior to Rod's reef food. It's a gelled food that you can feed in a mesh clip. Fish pick at the food releasing smaller pieces for your smaller fish. What I'm trying to emulate is a food that doesn't break apart in hundreds of small pieces that blow all over your tank fouling your water chemistry. Fish can pick at it at their leasure.

Rogger's reef food uses fresh Aloe Vera as a gel binder. I've done a bit of research and it has a lot benefits as far as adding vitamins and minerals. It also has some medicinal qualites. There's a thread on RC that recommended it be fed to Gold Flake Angels that seem to go off their food and die. A biologist was supposed to do a write up on the benefits of Aloe for marine fish but I haven't found that part yet.

Now my own expirements with Aloe vera have not been that succesful as far as getting the food to gel. I'm either using too little or not preparing it correctly. Another binder I've been looking at is Agar Agar. It's a derived from red algae and seaweeds like Gracilaria. It's pricey but might be worth looking into if you're interested in that type of food.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;95859 said:
How about a 4 oz size, for small nano's or pico's?
I could do that for the phyto. Not sure it would make sense for the zoo. If there is enough demand for something that small I can do it.

WrasseAttack, thanks for the info, might be something I consider down the road :)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the labels going. Might look for something better in the future but these will do for now. I only have about 3 bottles of phytophix available and 2 bottles of zoostew until these hit the fish stores and sponsors. If you want the introductory prices come get your bottle(s) soon, not sure what retail will be yet.

Just a side note as well. The zooplankton cultures that get bottled will now be in fresh saltwater and not culture water. The plankton will be sieved and fresh saltwater will be added to the bottle then plankton then 2 drops of concentrated Nannochloropsis paste. The fresh saltwater will be 34-35ppt salinity with 0 TDS RO/DI water. I also add 1 drop of Amquel to the bottle to lock up any potential ammonia that could foul your system.

Even though I cant get the photograph to get its true color, the above photo is after this process. The water is completely clear before adding the phyto drops and has a light green color even though its photographing a bit yellow.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That looks awesome!!!!!!!
looks like your gonna be makin some big bucks soon ;)
Anyways do you think you can hold a bottle for me as I can't make it down to littleton in the next few days

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the labels look great. thanks for the bottles also. They're going in my new sump tomorrow once it's all set up. Sorry my roomie forgot the book lol bad luck with that.