Removing the black trim from a biocube

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
has anyone had any luck removing the rim on a biocube. I know it can be done. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to the easiest way.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My 14gal Biocube is RIMLESS!!!

Pretty easy too. Just a little tedious and took a couple hours. Cleaned up real nice IMO. Hand saw and new razor blades. Not a single cut either :)

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tripple T;131860 said:
I think on the 14 this is ok. On the 28 I would be scared to death with structural issues. I've heard off jbj flat out exploding.
Yeah, i def wouldn't do it on a larger tank without some sort of reinforcement.

Zoalander

Butterfly Fish
I did that to mine about 6 months ago and everything was fine. About 6 weeks later I came home to a mini flood, it fell apart. I contacted them and they said the stress builds on the side and eventually the whole think pops.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zoalander;131863 said:
I did that to mine about 6 months ago and everything was fine. About 6 weeks later I came home to a mini flood, it fell apart. I contacted them and they said the stress builds on the side and eventually the whole think pops.
Really? Was this the 14gal biocube or the 29gal biocube that you took the rim off of and it shattered?

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;131886 said:
I did it on my 75 and all is well months later. Thinking about doing the 120? Grrrr
i thought you had a brace on that 75 MIKE? Rimless 120! That is pretty ballzy....... Will there be braces on it? I still have the brace on my 40gal breeder that i took the rim off of. I dont think i could sleep if i took it off. hahaha

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I just picked up the 120! I may go rimless with a brace. I am doing some research currently. The tank has 1/2" glass.
Here is. Risk factor calculator I have used in the past. I think 3.5 is safe.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;132361 said:
I just picked up the 120! I may go rimless with a brace. I am doing some research currently. The tank has 1/2" glass.
Here is. Risk factor calculator I have used in the past. I think 3.5 is safe.
I did a lot of research into this when I had my 120. The safety factor checks out, I used some applet from our homepage. The actual experience from others is that the glass bows. For that reason, I looked into euro bracing. IMO, that looked like the best option. Having never done it though, I can only have an educated guess as to the outcome. I did talk with Will at Premier about this, he recommended a brace of some sort. He makes metal braces, didn't have any that would fit a 120 when I asked though, just a 125.

You can try it if you'd like, I'll even help you move it ;)

Edit: found this guy. Safety factor must be 7.8 for rimless, they say.