Removing the black trim from a biocube

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;132361 said:
I just picked up the 120! I may go rimless with a brace. I am doing some research currently. The tank has 1/2" glass.
Here is. Risk factor calculator I have used in the past. I think 3.5 is safe.
How exactly does one read this chart???

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The top row is the tank width, the left side is tank height. In the center it lists two possible glass thicknesses and in the (. ) marks is the risk factor. For example... A tank that is 48" wide by 24" tall with 12mm glass 1/2" the risk is a 4 I think, you'll need to check me on that. I think a 3.5 risk is industry standard??? If you were to put a center brace on the same tank it makes that 48" span only 24" and the risk factor goes down.

I know exactly what I mean. Lol I hope that helps though.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;132522 said:
The top row is the tank width, the left side is tank height. In the center it lists two possible glass thicknesses and in the (. ) marks is the risk factor. For example... A tank that is 48" wide by 24" tall with 12mm glass 1/2" the risk is a 4 I think, you'll need to check me on that. I think a 3.5 risk is industry standard??? If you were to put a center brace on the same tank it makes that 48" span only 24" and the risk factor goes down.

I know exactly what I mean. Lol I hope that helps though.
got it. thanks for clearing that up.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;132374 said:
I did a lot of research into this when I had my 120. The safety factor checks out, I used some applet from our homepage. The actual experience from others is that the glass bows. For that reason, I looked into euro bracing. IMO, that looked like the best option. Having never done it though, I can only have an educated guess as to the outcome. I did talk with Will at Premier about this, he recommended a brace of some sort. He makes metal braces, didn't have any that would fit a 120 when I asked though, just a 125.

You can try it if you'd like, I'll even help you move it ;)

Edit: found this guy. Safety factor must be 7.8 for rimless, they say.
Thanks Jamie. Cool thread. Bean Animals are so dope! O so quite:cigar: