Rock bottom tank??

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am gearing up to finish my 200 build and have been long contemplating if I should go bare bottom or not. The big thing for me is I really like the idea of bare bottom and just cranking my flow but don't like the look of bare bottom tanks. I got to thinking what if I just covered the entire bottom in Marco prime cuts and made the entire bottom all rock?

This I think would look pretty good especially once its all encrusted in lps and varies monitiporas etc. Can anyone think of why this might be a bad idea? This tank will be 80% SPS and 20% or so LPS. I realize I will have no sand dwelling creatures or wrasses and im ok with that. Thats what my other tank is for all the stuff I can have in this one. :)

This is basically what im talking about for those unfamilar with prime cuts from Marco Rocks. I would just cut the pieces into tiles and lay them in perfectly.

What do yall think about this idea?

Like this only better fitted and on the bottom.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you think stuff will get trapped underneath or in between rocks. That would be my biggest concern as it could lead to poop traps.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i dont think that would be a problem, especially if you had bristle worms.... since it will be mainly sps, high flow will help eliminate that as well. looks like a sweet idea.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dude that would be pretty cool. I'd imagine it looking like the top of a reef. Where there's no sand. Sounds pretty sweet!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feel like stuff might still get stuck under there, even with high flow and CUC.

Have you checked out the faux sandbeds? There were some threads on the EE where people mixed up Envirotex high gloss with sand and basically made a sand-based epoxy. Looks more natural than barebottom and you can blast it with flow without kicking up a sand storm...and nothing will ever get underneath there.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah im just not crazy about the starboard look. I know eventually it would all be encrusted anyway but I just cant bring myself to do it.

jahmic;264140 said:
I feel like stuff might still get stuck under there, even with high flow and CUC.

Have you checked out the faux sandbeds? There were some threads on the EE where people mixed up Envirotex high gloss with sand and basically made a sand-based epoxy. Looks more natural than barebottom and you can blast it with flow without kicking up a sand storm...and nothing will ever get underneath there.
Ive not looked into the faux sandbeds but I dont like the idea of exopying anything to my tank in the event I ever want to change it or sell it. I did think about stuff getting under the rock but what I figured Id do is use the marco cement and a trowel to fill in the holes in the bottom of the rocks so they sit flat with no crevices or holes and cut he pieces square with a tile saw so the gaps between the rocks would be minimal at most. I also thought about sprinkling just enough sand to fill in the tiny gaps arounfd the edges and in between the individual pieces.

Do you think that would work? My main goal is to juat have crazy flow everywhere without creating sand storms. Obviously not blasting the corals to death but you get the idea.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Lol how about a rectangle 1/2" spray bar with high flow around entire edge. Then dowel your tiles together as one piece and leave the holes open for movement. Then set the one piece on the spray bar . As long as you drilled a hole near top to break siphon you won't have any issues. :-D

Crazy I know

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you would have too much of a problem with the holes. Even with a lot of flow they won't get cleaned out. Just like regular rock you would have to use a powerhead and manually clean out the holes. Detritus would still find a way underneath all of that rock floor.

KCCO

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went bare bottom on my frag tank. Honestly, I hate it. I thought it would be easy to keep clean, and it's really not. My next frag setup has sand...

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys!
Actually I can speak to this, as I have been doing a bit the same thing.
Get some little acrylic feet at the plastic shop and elevate those tiles 1/2" up off the bottom. If not, it becomes a sewer down there. It's a bit of a pain to put together at first, but you will like how clean it stays.
And you will need some power behind any flow you put under there. I am actually in process of building a 120 setup as you describe. Using two Ehieim 1262 driving two spraybars for flow...and half of that is going under the false bottom. Even elevated up off the bottom it takes a good flow to keep it clean.
I would love to see some pics as you do it!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;264134 said:
Do you think stuff will get trapped underneath or in between rocks. That would be my biggest concern as it could lead to poop traps.
Use an under gravel filter and reverse the flow!

"This one time, at band camp..."

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;264201 said:
Wow under gravel haven't heard that forever.
I know!! But I think if it's modified to blow and keep stuff from settling it would work well!! It's been an idea I've had in my head for a while...

"This one time, at band camp..."