Salinity Salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are many products and some companies that will only sell to 'Brick & Mortar' retailers. This is done for several reasons, but namely it's to allow LFS to provide product that isn't available on-line. However, the definition of 'Brick & Mortar' can be a bit grey. It depends on the vendor/wholesaler. If I have a warehouse that is open for retail sales on a limited but scheduled basis, then many may consider that 'brick & mortar'. A traditional LFS might have a differing viewpoint though.

The SeaChem Aquavitro line and Salinity were developed for sale through traditional LFS. It's a high quality, limited distribution product that won't be available from Marine Depot. It has a different marketing slant (and marketing isn't a bad word BTW).

Find your favorite retailer and go buy some.... it's good stuff.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;107575 said:
Leave to. You to pour gas on it!
and what was the point of your statement?
i'm just following this one for entertainment ...not choosing sides :)

hope this means you brought the popcorn

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No Worries Josh !!!!!

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
DGPets;107570 said:
Actually, Seachem is very clear that it does matter. It is supposed to be exclusively sold through indie LFS's.
There's a reason it isn't available online.

$1.00 a gallon premixed.
125 gal bucket $69.99
225 gal bucket $99.99
A quick google search turns up a few options online. :)

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can order it all over online. Seachem just says you cant buy it online to make local stores more likely to sell it for them.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;107658 said:
You can order it all over online. Seachem just says you cant buy it online to make local stores more likely to sell it for them.
SkyNet.... er... I mean Google is your friend. :)

Also, the best price on-line, including shipping comes within 10% of D&G's price. Others are higher.....

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chris, the cloudiness is absolutely fine. It is something we deal with constantly. Some people like boogie and projectx pointed out, never have issues with the cloudiness. The cloudiness can actually get worse the longer the salt is mixed in advanced, because the magnesium becomes more reactive.

The heat as boogie pointed out is due to a couple of factors. One has to do with the concentration of calcium and magnesium chloride in the salt mix, the other has to do with the fact that the salt is extremely anhydrous, meaning that it has an extremely low moisture content. We monitor the conditions inside and outside the production warehouse for humidity (since we are in Georgia after all) and won't make the salt if the humidity gets above a certain level. This is done so that you, the consumer, ultimately is paying for salt, not salt already bound to water.

Now, the aqua vitro line, including salinity, is only available through independent pet retailers. It has been that way since the line came out 3 years ago. As you can imagine, the product finds it's way to folks and as such you can find it listed for sale online, however we have a staff at the home office who's job it is to scour the Internet and get folks selling it online to take it off. This is extremely challenging especially with etailers such as amazon and eBay, because as soon as we pull one vendor down, they jump on using a different screen name and start all over again. You will find that the options online are rather obscure and are often ridiculously priced after shipping is factored in.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the situation! If you guys have any other questions, ask away!

Cheers!

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a question about seachem products in general. If it's made in the US, then why do they love the metric system so much? Everything is in liters or milliliters...

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cause that's the most scientificky!

Lol but seriously, because the metric system is standard for laboratorical practices anywhere in the world, including the US!

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure, but are the main consumers of seachem products using it in the lab? I'm really curious since most aquariums that are sold are rated in gallons.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
1 gallon = 3.785 Liters

I don't know what to tell you except thats what happens with a lab/company founded by a chemist!

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;107682 said:
I have a question about seachem products in general. If it's made in the US, then why do they love the metric system so much? Everything is in liters or milliliters...
i have also ran into issues with this concept not in the aquarium world but in college. in Physics you learn formulas and equations in the "standard" lab units of measurements "metric" such as meters per second where as a traditional college algebra class it is feet per second, which when you are learning both classes at the same time it gets really confusing.

back on topic

i have been using this salt for several months now and i have noticed that if i use warmer water i get more cloudiness than if i am using cooler water. i have never checked the temp of my water before i make it. some times i use my heater while mixing and some times i do not.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Now that you mention it, my tank maybe a bit cloudy, but great the next day. I also mix a few days in advance, I did not notice a smell or water temp change. Mixing in a 32 gallon plastic tub, no scum or problems. I use a large pump for mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.