salinity...

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am not impressed with this product, this is the first time I have paid that much for salt, and I'm ****ed. it takes a least 12 hrs to lose it cloudyness, and has a horrible residue left behind. I dont care that the parameters are good, because their are other brands that will produce the same. Anyone else who has the same problem or is it just me?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hear about people having that issue but I personally don't experience it. The cloudiness I mean... All I do is stir it with a big wooden spoon at first then stick a powerhead and heater in the water for about an hour though.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;162406 said:
I used to have that issue, when I added water to salt. Now I add salt to hot water, clear in about 5 min now...and no more white crud on the side.

Interesting I always add salt to water to avoid precipitation but have never tried added it to preheated water. I might give that a try.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 20gallon tank I mix mine in and the water is normally warn, 80ish degrees when I mix. I have two pumps in the tank along with a heater and when I mix it, it clears in about 20mins. It does leave a nasty residue in the tank and that I do not like. I am on my first bucket and think I might switch to another salt just to see if I notice any difference.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;162405 said:
I hear about people having that issue but I personally don't experience it. The cloudiness I mean... All I do is stir it with a big wooden spoon at first then stick a powerhead and heater in the water for about an hour though.
Now now I was there the other day and you water was cloudy and you blamed it on a water change. That is why I don't use that salt

I have used salinity for about 6months. I add salt to water. I can literally add the water directly to my tank. I don't have cloudiness issues what so ever. I do have residue, but it is in my 37gallon vat, which is due to calcium settling. I keep a heater and submersible pump running in the vat to keep the residue at a minimum.

The thing with salinity is that it is baked at a very high temp to dry it completely out. I add the salt to cold water, once the salt mixes the water is at 75-80 degrees. I have had -0- problems with this.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started a 10g quarintine with a mag 3 to mix the salt, I added salt to water and still had this happen, however this was the first time I mixed salinity in a brand new tank and not a bucket, and now there is a film all around the tank. I always do my WC in a bucket left on overnight, and have been noticing a tan residue all around the bucket and never thought that much about it, but now I think that I'm going back to brightwell. Just not very impressed with the quality of this 75$ a bucket salt. just wanted other opinions, maybe this is just this bucket but I've been reading that this is very common.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I get a brown residue in my mixing tank but it usually take quite a few batches before I really start to notice it. I'm with you though id like to switch to something different.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;162428 said:
I started a 10g quarintine with a mag 3 to mix the salt, I added salt to water and still had this happen, however this was the first time I mixed salinity in a brand new tank and not a bucket, and now there is a film all around the tank. I always do my WC in a bucket left on overnight, and have been noticing a tan residue all around the bucket and never thought that much about it, but now I think that I'm going back to brightwell. Just not very impressed with the quality of this 75$ a bucket salt. just wanted other opinions, maybe this is just this bucket but I've been reading that this is very common.
Which one you switching to? Have you tried the tropic-marin line of salts? I'm interested in your results with another salt and your method of choosing.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mix mine 55 gallons at a time a let mix some times for a few days! Just cause I have kids and to dial in the salinity! I do get the crud on the bottom of vat but after few hrs it's clear and I can see the mag 5 on the bottom that I use to mix! Now 75 $ is a good price for the salt!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;162415 said:
Lol, I use ~90° water
I'm pretty sure salinity/specific gravity measurements are temperature dependent, no? I tried doing this in the past and ended up having to adjust my mix once the temp went back down to 78 for the water change. Do you just have a predetermined amount of salt/volume that you use to mix your batch? Just wondering how you avoid this issue as I find that the Salinity does mix better at warmer temps. I end up just mixing at the tank temp since it takes longer for the bucket to cool down from 86 degrees than to heat it up to 78 with my 100W heater.

To the OP, I've had issues with residue mixing 5 gallons at a time. I've found the only way to avoid this is to heat the water to about 80 degrees and slowly add the salt with the powerhead running in the bucket. If I do this the cloudiness is gone within a few hours. I've also found that I have to point my powerhead at the bottom of the bucket as this kicks up any residue that settles on the bottom and mixes it. There have been times where I tested the SG of the water with the residue on the bottom, adjusted the powerhead so that it hits the bottom of the bucket, then retested the SG to find that it increased from 1.025 to 1.026/1.027. Don't know what is precipitating out in that residue, but I try make sure it all mixes in instead of kicking it up and adding it directly to the display when I pump in the water...just for peace of mind.

There was a thread on one of those "other forums" where Seachem had indicated it was best to use the product while it was cloudy. I've tested the cloudy water immediately after mixing vs anywhere from several to 24hrs later and noticed the same thing with the SG increase.

I'm not unhappy with the product as my tank is doing well...I just need tend to mix 24hrs ahead of time. Of course, I've only had the tank up since Feb and have been doing weekly WC with only salinity...so I have no way of comparing Seachem's product to any others out there.