salinity...

Yes, same here, Haddonisreef. Once I get dialed to 1.026, it has been mixing for a couple days before I use it for water changes. I like salinity, I don't have to dose trace supliments either.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;162443 said:
There was a thread on one of those "other forums" where Seachem had indicated it was best to use the product while it was cloudy. I've tested the cloudy water immediately after mixing vs anywhere from several to 24hrs later and noticed the same thing with the SG increase.
This is correct, Jon at Seachem said the very same thing when I was speaking with him at Reefstock. He also indicated that letting the salt mix for longer periods of time can result is some of the elements precipitating out of solution. I still like letting it mix over night for the smell and cloudiness issues.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;162446 said:
This is correct, Jon at Seachem said the very same thing when I was speaking with him at Reefstock. He also indicated that letting the salt mix for longer periods of time can result is some of the elements precipitating out of solution. I still like letting it mix over night for the smell and cloudiness issues.

Yep, same thing I was told. Also why I figure if I point the powerhead at the bottom of the bucket, anything that precipitates out should (hopefully) dissolve back into the solution after 24hrs. It seems to work as I don't have that residue in my bucket anymore.

I actually find the same question posed on aquavitro's site in the FAQ. Here's what they say:

Q: I recently switched over to using the salinity™ salt and after mixing, even a couple of days later, it remains cloudy. I currently add salt to a 35 gallon drum of RO water until I have reached a salinity of 35ppt. I am using a heater and a strong powerhead in order to mix it more thoroughly. I typically mix my saltwater on Friday for a Sunday water change. Is there something I can do to prevent the cloudiness?

A: It is completely normal for some batches of salinity™ to mix up more cloudy than others. This is due to more elevated levels of certain elements, in particular, calcium and alkalinity. Please rest assured that this cloudiness will not harm any of your inhabitants, corals, etc. and should dissipate very quickly. We use the salinity™ here at Seachem and there are times when we cannot let it mix for 24 hours, and have to use it within several hours of mixing. Though cloudy initially, within thirty minutes to an hour of putting it in the tanks, it is crystal clear.

Furthermore, based on our observations, the salt clouds more as the water temp increases. Also, mixing the salt more than 24 hours causes a decrease in alkalinity and pH. This is somewhat expected as the increase in CO[SUB]2[/SUB] (more so with excessive agitation) causes a pH shift downward and can also cause precipitation of some of the components, namely calcium and carbonates.

For best results, make salinity™ up at room temperature (22 to 25 degrees Centigrade). Stir well until thoroughly dissolved. salinity™ is then ready for immediate use. Excessive mixing may result in cloudiness, due to carbon dioxide absorption. Cloudiness will dissipate when the salinity™ solution is added to the aquarium.
http://www.aquavitro.com/support.html

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The alk really does swing significantly when allowed to sit. I used a hanna checker to measure a batch that was just mixed but allowed to completely dissolve and the alk measured at roughly 9 DKH. I tested the same batch 4 days later and it was 7.5 I did not try to reproduce this so I cant say for sure that will always be the case but it might make for a cool experiment.

Mix a batch test the parameters then continuing measuring the same parameters each day for 7 days and see how much they change.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently noticed a drop in alk in my tank and I'm still working on bringing it back up...the drop coincides with a stretch where I was allowing the salt to mix for 2-3 days prior to two consecutive water changes. It wasn't until today though that I saw seachem confirm that this can occur due to prolonged mixing.

I may actually try to repeat this and see if I get the same results as you.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I should also note the two tests occurred at significantly different temps although im not sure that would have much of an effect. Ive got a water change coming up in a couple days i'm going to test this again with more controls in place and see how much it really does shift. Ill test mg, ca and ph as well.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you guys actually leave the SW mixing for 2-3 days? I normally mix mine up, then put it into a water container and let it sit. Then just shake it real good before a water change. How would this work with an auto water change system?

I typically do 20% change every Sunday. I usually mix the r/o and salt on Friday in preparation for Sunday. I have in the past mixed Saturday and changed water Sunday. Once I even mixed and changed the water two hours later.

I do know, from testing the vat, that parameters are different the longer the mix sits. (like it does in an aquarium)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a predetermined amount, usually 2 cups for ~5g. I'm also trying to increase ORP, by dropping salinity every w/c.
I use hot water in order to avoid using a heater, I just let it air cool.

You guys jinxed me, I let the water mix an extra day....crud at the bottom.
As for mixing my water, I keep a powerhead in the bucket in order to oxygenate the water. I usually mix for 12 hours before conducting the w/c.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just mixed 50 gallons when I got home at 445 and it's crystal clear the water was at 79 degrees and there's a mag 7 pump in there

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been using Salinity for about a year now. I mix it at 79 degree's. I never have any cloudiness, but I did get some residue.

As for the price. It is really not that much more. I think someone did the break down on a per gallon @ 1.026 SG in another of the 5 million other Salinity threads we have.
The reason you are paying more for it, is the 225 gallon actually mixes @ 1.026 for 225 gallons. Where if you buy other salt, they mix up at a lower SG. If you match up how many gallons you actually get at the SG you are targeting, the price difference is negligible.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will not go through all that heating up the water before mixing ect...for that kind of $, I'll just buy different salt.the last brightwell I had I was very impressed it was just expensive. When will brs start making salt?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;162403 said:
I am not impressed with this product, this is the first time I have paid that much for salt, and I'm ****ed. it takes a least 12 hrs to lose it cloudyness, and has a horrible residue left behind. I dont care that the parameters are good, because their are other brands that will produce the same. Anyone else who has the same problem or is it just me?
YUP...same problem. I even used preheated RO water with the temp near 80 and a large Koralia in for mixing. HORRIBLE film and residue on everything! Cloudy for at least 8-12 hours. Hated the stuff and have gone to Kent. Most of the maintenance companies I know use Kent exclusively. I started using Kent and have had no issues...clear within minutes and NO residue. Oh, and I used Reef Crystals for awhile before anything and it mixed about the same as Kent. So far I LOVE Kent, especially with it's price point!!!

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I mix mine up at around 78 deg, once all the salt is dissolved it is crystal clear and that only takes a few minutes, I do have the brown crud in my mixing bucket but it comes off pretty easy if i scrub it with my bare hand.