Saltcreep around tank edge

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I have had this issue with my tank for a while now and not sure what to do about it. Around the front lower edge of the tank I get this slow saltcreep, the image is about a weeks worth of it. It appears even when I havent been in the tank so pretty sure its a small leak. At this point its more of an annoyance then anything as it doesnt really seem to be causing any real problems, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on ways to fix it without me having to drain and dry out the tank for several days.

View attachment 17083

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any chance it could be splash over from your pumps that is running down the front? This could happen even without you getting into the tank if your water level is high enough or your pumps are strong enough to cause wave motion.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow that's really hard to pick out where it may be coming from.. Only think I could think of was maybe theres water running underneath the tank, or spilling from above. Idk :/

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
No my pumps dont move the top water that much and the top is pretty much sealed as well. It appears in the same spot every time too, but no sign of water running down the front of the glass or anything

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the tank is drilled then check around there. Could be a small leak that is running forward along the bottom of the tank.

If it is a leak at the joint on the front edge of the tank then anything you do would be riskier than resealing the entire tank. Take close stock of your risk tolerance and proceed from there. If it was a 10 gallon tank on a basement floor then I might take the risk, a 100 gallon in my living room would be a totally different approach. Your needs might mean you are willing to live with the risk of a total failure, and only a few people on here might be able to help you assess exactly how likely that scenario is in this situation.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I have looked it over and pretty sure it a small leak the bottom seal under the sand. Was hoping there might be some way to seal the front outside edge so I don't have to drain and dry it out. Thought about just running a small bead of silicon aroun the bottom outside edge but it needs to stay dry for it to adher so trying to figure something else that will not only seal it but not look horrible either. Haven't seen any evidence of it leaking underneath the tank, but that would be hard to see since I set the tank on a pad, but may just have to wait till I have a second tank I can move everything into for a week or so and reseal the whole thing

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A bead of silicone may hide the problem...but it won't prevent the seam from failing. Someone already said it...and I agree that you might want to assess how much of a mess you're willing to potentially deal with before deciding against resealing the tank.

If I found salt creep like that on a seam...I would be thankful for the warning.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya prolly right about that. Guess I better start looking for a second tank setup so I can drain and seal this one up

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I definitely would follow whatever advice Khalis (jahmic) gave me without question. He's one of the smartest guys I've ever met. Hands down.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As Blindrage suggested, I would start by checking the bulkheads, probably even replacing them with new ones with new gaskets. If there is a tiny pinhole that isnt sealed it will leak and chase the glass to the lowest side. These can literally be changed out with in 2 hours including going to the closest local fish store to get bulkheads. Aquamart I know usually has lots of them on hand.

Then if the problem still persists I would move to getting a new tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thanks guys. Guess I have a lot of work to do either way to resolve this and guess I better put off adding any more critters and stuff to the tank till I get it resolved. Ill keep you posted

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're getting that much salt creep in a week, then you should be able to find the point where it's leaking if that's the cause. Wipe the edge down and clean it up well...wait a few hours then just slowly run a paper towel across the seam. Even if you don't get water dripping out of that seam, it should wick the water out if you have a tiny leak anywhere.

It's not guaranteed to work...but I've had good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I tore down the tank about 2 weeks ago, moved everything into a temp tank. I then removed all the old seals and resealed the tank as well as went and bought all new bulk heads. Yesterday I finally got everything in place and put it all back together. Got all the rock and everything back in the tank and went to turn on the pump and get it all running only to find out that the brand new bulkhead had a crack in it right up the seam on the side. Ugh... Use some vinyl tubing i had for a temp fix to get everything running again, but think I am going to have to tear it all down again this weekend to get that bulk head out, that is unless anyone else has some ubber way of getting the bulk head out without draining the whole thing again.

The hole in the stand for the bulkhead is pretty tight and not much room to get any tools up inside it. I was thinking maybe I could drill out a small section around the hole to widen it a bit and allow me to get some tools up in there and get the nut off, but would have to be very delicate and not hit the glass while doing it. Kind of at a loss with it and really dont want to drain the tank again and stress out the critters in it anymore then they already are.

Any thoughts?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hmm that might work. Still might have to drill out some around the edges of the hole in the stand but that would give me enough room to get that in and get that nut off. Thanks I will see if I can find one at ace or home depot

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;291054 said:
Hmm that might work. Still might have to drill out some around the edges of the hole in the stand but that would give me enough room to get that in and get that nut off. Thanks I will see if I can find one at ace or home depot
Yessir, if you have a drill with a stopper I suggest you use it. Alternatively, you could fanagle a strap wrench up there and use might to loosen the nut

Sent from my tablet using a rock and chisel

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could get a 2" socket at the auto parts store for it.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Lol I actually have a basin wrench on hand, but ya cant get it in the hole so will need to drill it out a bit. Not sure it big enough to get around that nut though so the strap wrench might be a good alternative. Either way that gives me some better options then draining the tank. Thanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Off The Deep End;291058 said:
You could get a 2" socket at the auto parts store for it.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Hmm any idea where to find a deep one for a reasonable price? Some of the sites I saw like Ohio Power tools list them for $640 per socket.. Ouch