Saltcreep around tank edge

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No we pay like $40 for them at Napa. Another idea is off you can get a flat head screw driver up against the edge off it and tap it lightly counter clockwise, that's how we get 4 inch nuts off of semi axels only we hit them harder :)

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya I looked through theirs and dont see anything that big. Either way I will try the strap and basin wrenches first

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Off The Deep End;291075 said:
No we pay like $40 for them at Napa. Another idea is off you can get a flat head screw driver up against the edge off it and tap it lightly counter clockwise, that's how we get 4 inch nuts off of semi axels only we hit them harder :)

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk
Thats not a bad idea. Had also though of using a screwdriver and heating up the tip really hot and just melting the nut enough that i could break it off. Well at least there is a few option there

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Woot! Finally after 3 weeks the tank is back up and running and no leaks !!! Got a drill bit for drilling door handles and carefully drilled out some around the bulk head so I could get the bulk head out. It was still a bit rough getting it out, still had to use a hot screwdriver to melt and break the nut off, but after replacing it and getting everything back up and running, it is looking good. Thanks everyone for your tips and advice

Yay!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well I did photograph some of the resealing process.
I first started by moving everything to temp tanks. Live rock with corals and all other critters to 30g with an external overflow hooked directly to my sump for the 75. All other rock and sand went in a 10g with an airstone and heater.

[attachment=65980:name]

Once I got it all cleaned out I took a razor blade and cut out all the old seals

[attachment=65981:name]

I then cleaned it up and masked off all the edges with painters tape

[attachment=65982:name]

Then laid a nice bead of silicon along all the edges. Once I done I immediately removed all the masking to get nice clean lines. The end result turned out pretty good.

[attachment=65984:name]

After two days of letting the silicon dry I then put it back on the stand and slowly filled it with water and constantly checking for leaks. I let it sit with the water in it for about 5 days to ensure no small leaks appeared in the silicon. After I drained it again and dried it out, I installed new bulkheads and fixed some of my other plumbing.
My wife really wanted to put some new Flor carpet panels under the tank while I had it down, So I had to wait a few days for those to come in to get the tank back up and running. As soon as they came in though I quickly started setting the whole thing back up. Got the carpet under the stand, and tank back in place. I then put some water in the tank and started moving live rock into it to make the base. I stacked up most of the rock so I would know how I wanted then took out the top pieces again and filled in the sand around all the base rocks. Replacing all the rock after that and I started filling the tank more and moving the critters back in.
However as soon as I got it all filled and everything back in the tank I went to hook up the plumbing lines and turn on the pumps, only to have the return bulkhead spray me in the face as soon as I turned on the pump...ugh. Fortunately I had plenty of vinyl tubing that fit on my return pump, so I hooked that up for a temporary fix till I could get the bulkhead off.
Since the previous owner of this tank/stand had only drilled holes in the stand just large enough for the bulkheads to fit in, I needed to resort to some drastic measures to get the bulkhead out again.
I went and got a drill bit for doing door handles and then carefully drilled out several holes around the bulk head until I could finally get a wrench up in there and remove/replace the return bulkhead. And woot it finally all worked and no leaks. All in all it took about 3 full weeks to get it back up and running and now it is looking great.

[attachment=65985:name]