Should we need licenses for this hobby?

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;111910 said:
Being new to the hobby, in the last three months I believe I've hit every LFS in the Denver metro. As much as people have issues with Liquid Kingdom, Tom (the owner), required a water sample to test before beginning to sell a new customer fish. I was a bit taken back by this at first but realized very quickly this was a responsible thing for him to do. He also asked MANY questions in a "get to know you, your tank, and goals" before selling as well. I gained a good amount of respect for him and the store. I go to Elite three times as much, but I don't snub off Liquid for some of these very reasons. Just my quick .02
Requiring a water sample is not a bad thing but I'd like to test their water too. Do they still have tanks filled with aiptasia? flatworms?

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I'd like to test their water too. Do they still have tanks filled with aiptasia? flatworms?
In the past when I have gone in there I had the same impression. That it was very hypocritical to require water samples when their tanks were such a mess. However, I actually just went to Liquid Kingdom today. Just because I happened to be having lunch in the area and I just can't resist a LFS when there is one close. I do have to say that they have started to turn things around quite a bit. while there are still some messy tanks and pests to be found, it is leagues better than it was when I went in there a few months ago. They actually now have a few decent frag tanks set up with some colorful frags.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did it sell?

They can't even enforce dog and cat licensing or get people to spay and neuter their pets so I doubt they will able to enforce fish licenses. Also the AKC is the biggest scam organization. All the puppy mills that sell dogs to petstores are able to procure AKC registration.

I think we'll see a dangerous dog act preventing people from owning certain breeds, a good thing, long before we see any other measures taken for fish or corals.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Government regulation is an expensive thing that is often not effective. As consumers we should (regulate) by nit shopping at places that don't have good husbandry practices and so on. We all know who they are.... And they wouldn't last long if everyone stick to that.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;111927 said:
Requiring a water sample is not a bad thing but I'd like to test their water too. Do they still have tanks filled with aiptasia? flatworms?
Sorry for getting off the topic....but to respond....they still have some aiptasia. I've not seen flatworms. HOWEVER, like I mentioned I've been to EVERY LFS I know, heard of, or looked up in the past couple of months. EVEN the best, most highly regarded had quite a bit of aiptasia everywhere I looked. I don't think it has anything to do with water quality. Just cross contamination IME. I still think it was very responsible and respectable for him to request a water sample from a new customer before selling a fish. They aren't my favorite place, but I got my first LFS bought fish from there (Coral Beauty) and she's awesome.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;111925 said:
... aggressive breeds because the breed is aggressive by nature. You can train a Chihuahua to be a jerk but that’s not their nature, well most lol.

Sorry for the late reply I’m at work and check on breaks :)
You realize that Chihuahuas and Dachshunds are the top aggressive breads don't you?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;111963 said:
I thought wheat was the most aggressive bread?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
only if its whole grain

brent ward;111958 said:
You realize that Chihuahuas and Dachshunds are the top aggressive breads don't you?
The point that most people miss is that while several small dogs like terriers are aggresive because it's in their breed nature, there's a big difference in being bitten by a chihuahua and a pit bull. Have any of you seen a pitbull attack? I have and not even beating a pitbull in the head with a shovel will get it to release it's prey. Every pitbull organization recommends that owners have break sticks on them when they have pitbulls but I doubt the majority of owners even know what a break stick is. Pitbulls do not make good pets for the majority of people and it's pretty evident when interviewed the owner of the pitbull that's just mauled somebody says something like 'he's was always so gentle with my children, I don't know why he ripped my child's face to shreds'.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;112043 said:
The point that most people miss is that while several small dogs like terriers are aggresive because it's in their breed nature, there's a big difference in being bitten by a chihuahua and a pit bull. Have any of you seen a pitbull attack? I have and not even beating a pitbull in the head with a shovel will get it to release it's prey. Every pitbull organization recommends that owners have break sticks on them when they have pitbulls but I doubt the majority of owners even know what a break stick is. Pitbulls do not make good pets for the majority of people and it's pretty evident when interviewed the owner of the pitbull that's just mauled somebody says something like 'he's was always so gentle with my children, I don't know why he ripped my child's face to shreds'.
Yes I have seen an attack first hand on a couple of occasions and every time I would say it was the owner not properly raising and caring for the dog. The first attack I was only about ten, and the second attack I helped stop. The reason you get those quotes were because the "Owners" were not prepared to keep the animal. I would agree, "Pitbulls do not make good pets for a majority of people", but that is because the dog attacks someone. No one says "Marine animals don't make good pets for the majority of people" because they just die and are replaced. But plenty of people get out of the hobby when they get tired of pouring money into the box.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I trust pits far more than I trust a damned chihuahua, doberman, or even a german shepard as long as I know the owners treated the dog with love and respect.

Any animal can turn against it's owner/trainer as we've seen many times. Terriers are aggresive breed dogs because it's their breed nature. Even my Jack Russell who is sweet and docile will go for your throat if you accidently hurt her when playing or step on her foot. We are lucky with ours because she likes our cats but I've also seen her rip a strange cat off a 6 foot private fence. She was bred to hunt. It's in her nature to kill small animals no matter what training she's had.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And breed nature has nothing to do with weather a dog WILL attack.
Otherwise, all dogs should be outlawed because it's in a dog's nature to protect itself and its territory.

All I'm saying is that a dog that is treated like crap will be far more dangerous
than a dog that is treated with love and respect. If the owner is an a$$hole, the dog will be too.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was once attacked by a pit bull. I to agree that it is the way they are raised and treated. For instance lady let 4 pits out on my wife and I, 1 got me one got a guy about 4 blocks down, thats not just the pit that is the way they were raised. It is eaiser to teach a pitbull to be stupid mean and cause havoc. Well trained attack dogs are awesome docile pets and when needed they attack who they are suppose to not any one in the area at the time !

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;112079 said:
I was once attacked by a pit bull. I to agree that it is the way they are raised and treated. For instance lady let 4 pits out on my wife and I, 1 got me one got a guy about 4 blocks down, thats not just the pit that is the way they were raised. It is eaiser to teach a pitbull to be stupid mean and cause havoc. Well trained attack dogs are awesome docile pets and when needed they attack who they are suppose to not any one in the area at the time !
dare tell why some lady let 4 pit bulls lose on your a$$...lol