Solar city

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just from my experience, in Missouri, you could end up with a net 0 bill - but trying to sell electricity back was a joke. I would not focus on trying to make money - probably a fools errand. We could effectively use Wind in Missouri - your hope was to turn the meter backwards at night and have it catch up during the day.

Anybody that tells you that the panels will increase the value of your home has no idea what they are talking about (or next to no idea) - it takes the absolute right buyer at the right time since the general market will not support them. In some cases, it might, but in most cases it is a net neutral. Some people won't have any interest in them, but with housing so strong, they just will never offer and their non-interest will not be a factor with a flurry of people right behind them who will offer... in a weaker market, the non-desire from a good portion of the market will have a large impact. Some people will be REALLY interested and they might choose your house over another (which does have SIGNIFICANT value beyond money), but if they have even a decent agent, they won't likely pay any more for them. If the panels are owned, then the house is typically worth more - but most people don't understand the the maintenance required. I run analysis on this nearly every day - I have plenty of matched pairs that can show this. The biggest benefit for a quicker sales is in Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette and Superior, but these homes typically sell in less than 10 days anyway if offered appropriately... not so much in other areas north of I-70. I would advise anybody NOT to consider any supposed increase in value for the home, but if you do happen to get some, then good.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ailachami;320842 said:
irea sucks. called solar city and they wouldn't even come out. saying they don't work with irea.
It seems as if the rural electrics haven't been able to work out a net metering agreement yet. My dad had the same response, they did say they are hopeful in the next year or so...

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ailachami;320842 said:
irea sucks. called solar city and they wouldn't even come out. saying they don't work with irea.
We have irea as well. According to solar city they just entered into an agreement with them last month. We were told irea was forced to by a utility commission of some kind..

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just talked to solar city last Friday after I got my roof replaced. they said to call up findsolar.com? which might service the area.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I checked on solar city years ago with Irea and I got the line "hopefully next year we will be contracted with them" that was 4-5 years ago

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good news for those who are with IREA. I found a company who is working with IREA and we are getting it soon. The company name is Namaste Solar and the guy we're working with is Joe Montoya (jmontoya@namastesolar.com). Just tell him Kenny V sent you and he'll take good care of you.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
SolarCity was at the Parker farmers market this weekend and had a huge sign saying they now work with IREA...

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone currently getting info from them for IREA customers? I'm interested to see what you hear...

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
It might be too soon for them to have any feedback. It took 6 months from the time we signed the contract to the system getting plugged into the grid (most of this was delays by Xcel).

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bumping up this thread. I see Solar City now services IREA customers. I'm having them come out for an estimate. Anyone using them??? Trying to get some feedback, pros/cons for it.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've been with solar city for more than two years now. No regrets. We rarely use more than the system puts out. So our bill has been pretty much the same for the last two years. I remember it took about 4-5 moths form the day we signed the contract to the day it was turned on. Permits, install and inspections took a long time but they do it all. Right now is definitely right time of the year to do it. Because if it still takes that long to get it ready then you'll be in the spring months with plenty of sun. Ours was fired up in November so it did not produce much first few months with really short days and we ended up paying our set amount to solar city and for what we used to Xcel.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's your bill monthly, ish? Did it decrease from what it was on Xcel, or about the same?

Also, did you buy or lease equip?

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Munch;334695 said:
What's your bill monthly, ish? Did it decrease from what it was on Xcel, or about the same?

we ended up closing the lease option with a small down payment that allowed us to lock our bill for 20 years. We pay $107 a months. The highest bill from Xcel that we had before we switched was $280. There are month when we would pay less then $107 with Xcel but on average we are definitely saving. The majority of savings will be realized later in the lease term since there there's no price increase under the contract. Xcel on average raises their rates about 3% I think, pls don't quote me on that number. But you get the idea.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Solar city

Munch;334695 said:

Our experiences have been similar. Our bill is between 5 and 50 % less. Our solar city is 60 every month with our lease and our excel is between $10 and negative $10 a month. I'd do it again.

Also, if you decide to do it, be sure to find someone you know that has it and tell solar city that they referred you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Munch;334685 said:
Bumping up this thread. I see Solar City now services IREA customers. I'm having them come out for an estimate. Anyone using them??? Trying to get some feedback, pros/cons for it.
Where is IREA? My dad is watching for solar city to go to Parker.