Solar city

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
As a side note Solarcity now has more or less a rent to own plan that is the same price as the lease son once you pay them off the power is yours for free, we are looking at an install date early next year right now.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Living out in Jefferson, a lot of places out here have no other option than solar or wind (most times both). The cost of running power lines to a house that's 2 miles from the closest source is well... a lot. Once my house starts being built, I'm looking to go with a full solar array. Screw paying for power when you can get it for free from the sun (disclaimer: after the initial investment).

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Matt_Arian;334708 said:
Living out in Jefferson, a lot of places out here have no other option than solar or wind (most times both). The cost of running power lines to a house that's 2 miles from the closest source is well... a lot. Once my house starts being built, I'm looking to go with a full solar array. Screw paying for power when you can get it for free from the sun (disclaimer: after the initial investment).
Be warned. The initial investment is going to be HUGE for an off grid application. You will need no less than 10kW of solar panels, and a 1000 Ah, 125VDC battery bank, which combined will cost you in the 80,000-120,000 dollar price range. Since both the panels and the batteries and a MTBF of 20 years, this investment will have to happen every 20 years, versus the cost of the line from Xcel once and 20k to replace a smaller solar array every 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a contractor's discount, so pricing for my install with a 12kW/2,000Ah system with 50 yr panels came out to sound 65k. Battery replacement with new AGM's should only occur after 20+ years with the cost around 500 per cell. An investment well worth it, considering 40 acres only cost me 70k.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
My numbers assumed installation by a third party. If youre installing yourself, thats a wise investment. Just make sure you get a quality inverter with THD less than 2% since you wont have a grid to dampen your harmonics.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
We had IREA out in Franktown and rural Parker. I believe Excel runs the natural gas, but I vaguely remember them doing electric, too.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
My solar payment is around $140 a month which means that once I pay for my system I will be saving that much each month at least. Reduced my Excel payment to around $80 with $20 of that being fees