Sunburst vs rbta

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How accurate is this pic to a Teq Sunrise in person? Thinks there's any saturation?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's a cellphone pic of a rainbow, rbta and sunburst. (starting at the upper left going clockwise)

Must see it in person to really see the differences.

Here are my sunbursts. Kind of hard to see with the blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those who have seen my nems know they are sunburst! Total of 8 ATM!:). I have bought many rbtas rainbows over the yrs and always helps to have a good source. The guy Patrick that's talked about in the article, sold his 180 to the guy where I get mine from. When he bought the tank there was sb in the over flows sump it was crazy!

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine look similar to opakapaka's.

View attachment 17998

Hard to tell the diff between J.guokas's - clearly a difference in photo editing, maybe the same maybe different? I'll work on some updated pics.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine looks like yours Munch. Opakapaka came over to my place and thought it was a Sunburst.

Munch;296289 said:
Mine look similar to opakapaka's.

View attachment 17998

Hard to tell the diff between J.guokas's - clearly a difference in photo editing, maybe the same maybe different? I'll work on some updated pics.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe those with Nems, and decent cameras can get pics under whites with similar settings. Keep the post processing to a minimum.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You guys are funny. Just because a BTA may not be as colored up as some fantastically perfect sunburst on a retailers site doesn't mean that it is not a sunburst. We (Premier Fish and Reef) have had literately hundreds of sunbursts (still have quite a few) over time. We actually received some of the first splits from Kei years and years ago. Some have been extraordinarily colored up while others have been, meh (usually due to lighting conditions).

What makes a sunburst is a yellow tip, period, end of story. You can have a BTA with rose color and a yellow tip like so:

and it is still a sunburst. How do I know? Because here is the mother:

How do I know the mother is a sunburst? Because I can actually trace the lineage back to Kei's original.

Here is another (crappy image I know but you can see the yellow tips):

and another:

As you can see there are a lot of variations in color pattern, how they bubble but they all have the yellow tips and every picture linked I can trace lineage.

Typically speaking rainbows do not have yellow in them. However, we have seen, if you have a rainbow or rose in with a sunburst the sunburst can stimulate the rainbow or rose to pigment closer to the sunbursts colors (and vice versa). This change is pretty settle though and a sunburst will always have yellow tips.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, best definition I've seen thusfar, yellow tips = sunburst.

I'd have to say, mine is definitely not a Rainbow, but I don't think I have yellow tips. My base is speckled green, going to bright orange tentacles.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a T3i but am not too great with it. If someone has any pointers or would like to come over and take some pictures that would be great.

Munch;296294 said:
Maybe those with Nems, and decent cameras can get pics under whites with similar settings. Keep the post processing to a minimum.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;296297 said:
Ok, best definition I've seen thusfar, yellow tips = sunburst.

I'd have to say, mine is definitely not a Rainbow, but I don't think I have yellow tips. My base is speckled green, going to bright orange tentacles.

Sounds like the rainbow I have at home.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seth, your rainbow has bright orange tentacles? I have a rainbow as well, with lighter green base, going out to pinkish tentacles. There is a day n night difference between my two nems.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Mines look exactly like this. Although I don't really see the yellow tips in this picture.