1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Syn's 850g.t.v Deep Brain system

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by SynDen, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Wow sorry for your fish losses :/ That's never easy. i have a QT set up but I still fear getting ick. Keeping fish in a QT for 3 months seems like such a slow process but worth it. How was Japan? It's one of my bucket list destinations. Glass looks good.

2. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Yep I am pretty sure you will beat me, but I will catch up soon enough ;)
    Glass is super easy to work with, snap cuts will do most of it, but plate glass can be cut on a tile saw too if need be. Doing the silicon is pretty easy too. The first 2 tanks I did, I tried clamping the sides a bit because I was afraid of not bonding the silicon well enough, but that led to some cracks in the glass and caused some of the glass to bow a bit.
    I found that the best was just to set the glass pane into the bead of silicon and press down firmly. Then use masking tape to hold it in position and just let it cure.

Ya live and learn. I only QT'd him for 3 weeks because I didnt want to leave him in qt while we were gone. He was looking great, eating well and very active so I didnt see any reason not to. I gave him a freshwater dip before going into the dt too, and he was in for 2 weeks before we left, doing great the whole time. Came back to him and my engineer, just covered badly.

Japan trip was awesome though. Always good to hang with my inlaws, who live in Tokyo. Tons of drinking and great food. We also took a side trip for a few days to Okinawa and did some diving, which was amazing! Saw the Okinawa aquarium while there too, which will blow your mind, as the big main tank houses two full grown whale sharks, manta rays and a ton of other sharks and fish. They hold a lot of "World firsts" in the aquarium industry, so was great to see this place in person and up close. If I hadnt had my daughter or inlaws with me, im sure I could have spent hours at each tank in that place.

Cherub likes this.
  3. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

2 slowest builds ever!! Jk jk awesome work excited for water

4. SynDen

Haha indeed. Originally I had planned for this build to take about 4yrs. Thought for a bit that I might get it done in 3, but just passed the 3rd year mark. So looking like my original estimate was more realistic then I thought.

5. halmus

halmus Prawn

I resemble that remark!

Balz3352 likes this.
  6. SynDen

Been trying to knock out as much as I can every weekend. As of yesterday the mixing and RO tanks are online, operational and filled. I made one batch of saltwater. Perfect 200g mixed, 1 box.
    On the mixing tank I ended up converting the large overflow in the tank into the mixing tube. I put the heater and a pump at the bottom of the overflow and cut a few holes in the side of it to difuse into the main tank.
    Worked great. I dumped the whole box in the overflow and it mixed it all in a few minutes. No more measuring :D Just dump it all and walk away

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Fourthwind likes this.