The build thread: 430gal. display

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:The build thread: 430gal. display

I\'m jealous Andy. How deep is/was your backyard. Its seems like you\'re adding a LOT of house hehe.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Actually, the new floor feels really small when you\'re walking around on it. Especially when you think that that\'s the kitchen, pantry, and utility room.

But, the yard curves around for a ways behind the green building, so there\'s still some room for the dogs to get crazy. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Aquarium-related news:

At some point when I wasn\'t paying attention, the building crew installed the steel supports for the aquarium.

Full view:

Left side:

Right side:

Attachment to the new concrete wall in the basement:

Here\'s a view of the new concrete wall (taken through the old coal shoot):

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yep, three stories including the basement. Those windows are going to become a door to a new bedroom. The second story addition doesn\'t run as far back as the first floor does, but it\'ll still be nice.

We\'re going to re-use the brick along with some matching recycled brick for the addition.

Okay, back to work.... :)

i still think its funny your adding steel beams becuase of a fish tank. Oh god my wife would kill me. But i\'m glad many of us can live our dreams through your tank build.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Believe me, we are not adding steel beams just because of the tank build. The whole goal of this project was to do this _once._ We don\'t want to move again and we want the house to be structurally sound long after we\'re gone. The house structurals are, by far, taking up most of the money on the project.

Besides, steel\'s cheap. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, okay.... How cool am I to decide to put a big tank along the joists instead of across the joists?

Yesterday, they installed the whole staircase to the basement, complete with landing. :blink: This morning, it looks like they are putting the steel in to tie the addition in with the rest of the house and then they\'ll start framing up the first floor.

I know that framing is fast but ... damn.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Woohoo! Lots of work today, including raising walls, cutting a doorway to the fishroom(!!!!!!), and adding more steel:

http://65.102.221.68/HB12/

But, we\'ve been vandalized. The builder laid out the aquarium plan on the subfloor again and look what happened:

http://65.102.221.68/HB11/

I\'m glad I got those photos. Something to show the police....

Ummfish wrote:
Woohoo! Lots of work today, including raising walls, cutting a doorway to the fishroom(!!!!!!), and adding more steel:

http://65.102.221.68/HB12/

But, we\'ve been vandalized. The builder laid out the aquarium plan on the subfloor again and look what happened:

http://65.102.221.68/HB11/

I\'m glad I got those photos. Something to show the police....
darn drunk reefers wandering around your neighborhood. When that tank gets set up i would watch out.

i hear they deal little bags of white powder to support their activities, dime bags of calcium imported from euro trash reefers.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

See?!? You understand.... I just don\'t even feel safe in my own fishroom any more....

you could always seal the bottom of the room about 6 inches up with epoxy and fill with piranha. Looks like you have the structure to support it. Then again reef gangs may pay no attention but it would be great for the inlaws.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, fortunately I don\'t have an in-law infestation problem. (Maybe there\'s a nudibranch to take care of that? Heck, there\'s a species of nudibranch that specializes in just about everything.) In fact, I don\'t have any in-laws at all. My lovely bride and I were both born later in our parents\' lives and we both lost our parents years ago.

Well on that high note, I need to head off to the site construction meeting.... :)

BTW, do you think that would be \"gangsta reefers\" or \"gangsta reefas?\" Or \"gangsta r33fas?\"

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well, thanks! Well, I don\'t pretend to understand the minds of these criminals, but....

I think a piranha on one side, an anemone with clownfish (sheesh, where are the white stripes?) across and on the other side. Some sort of puffer or tang or something next to the anemone. I mean, who knows, really? It\'s all kind of a mess....

:)