The build thread: 430gal. display

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re:The build thread: 430gal. display

The builder came in this morning, saw the graffiti, and immediately urethaned over it so that it\'ll be permanent. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow! Hey, y'all! I just found the new forum (going to the other site didn't toss me over here automatically).

I have some new photos, and I've made up a really ugly (for now) page with links to everything at once so you won't have to scroll through a thread to find old photos.

http://65.102.221.68/remodel.html

I like what I see umm. Are you close to adding water yet?? JK, sorry I couldn't resist.
Nice work so far. I bet you cant wait till it gets to the point of adding water.

Spleify

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually, I just found out yesterday that it's only about four more weeks 'til the tank shows up! Woohoo!

The crew finished up putting up all of the roof joists today (in the snowstorm, they're crazy!). I think they're going to start laying plywood on the roof tomorrow.

And I think it'll be Monday that they lay the new concrete for the fishroom. (A floor drain! Yes!)

Clown-N-Around

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombiereef;5613 said:
make sure you coat that concrete with something. saltwater tears up concrete.
I didn't know that either. My fish room will intentionally be the one with the floor drain and even with water changes, will definately have a good amount of salt water flowing over it.

If you find out something before I do, Andy, let us know what you do!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not a lot of new home construction in my neck of the woods. We're pretty much built out. In fact, I think these guys told me once that they don't even do new stuff any more.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The crew was doing their large-crew ballet today. The concrete guys were in pouring the new porch, the fish room :), and the new basement. Pictures of the basement rooms to come later as they are still over there working. At the same time, the permanent crew finished putting plywood on the ceiling in the new bedroom and getting ready to drywall in there. They also finished raising walls on the rear mudroom today.

They started working on downstairs indoor framing, including finishing around the steel beams. During the process, the cabinet guy realized that one of the steel posts was in the wrong place by about 4", so the welders were back out grinding and re-welding the post. (Honestly, I wouldn't have bothered but the builder didn't ask me.)

I made up a completely lame, bare-bones website with a list of all of the links to the photo sites. Hopefully that'll be easier than making someone scroll back through the whole build thread in case they want to look at an old photo. Of course, that assumes that someone would WANT to view an old photo (Hmm....).

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, it's been a while. Sorry. I had my computer fail in a way that I couldn't figure out what was going wrong and it took my network with it. So, new computer, new network hardware. I apologize to anyone who tried to view any of the photos while the system was down.

The geothermal guys are about half done with laying out the air conditioning ducts and it looks like the plumber is just about done with the heating pipe. The geo units are supposed to be here Monday. I think they might drill the geo holes this week, although we had a lot of snow this past week that slowed down the outside work a bit. Fortunately, they managed to get the tarpaper on the house before the last storm.

The fish room is getting framed-up in an attempt to isolate the moisture in there away from the rest of the house. The geo guy really wants to find a way to use that moisture (houses here average about 10% humidity, so it's not the worst idea), but I think I've talked him into just venting it outside.

The electricians are supposed to start this week, hanging boxes and then pulling wire.

Also, I think our builder's finally figured out that it'll be cheaper and solve lots of problems (like where to run the downstairs AC feeds, for one) if we take down the brick wall on the east side of the house and re-frame it. I think he's only planning on it taking a couple of days. So, that'll probably happen this week as well.

Thanks!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What a difference a couple of days makes....

Monday morning it looked like this:

Tuesday noon:

Tuesday PM:

Wednesday PM:

A blizzard???? It was 80 degrees yesterday!!!!

New update photos. The air handlers are in, they are starting the electrical, the plumbing continues, and they poured the last of the concrete inside (mudrooms at front and back). From the last I heard, the tank should be coming in a week or so, same as the windows. :)

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's how spring is around here. Lots of snow but it doesn't last too long.

Well, it was nice enough that we had a barbeque out on the porch yesterday. The building company put it on for their crew and subs and were nice enough to invite me. Of course, they were using my barbeque. :) Now I know why all these guys work for the company!! Anyway, one of the crew members is a fantastic cook. He got all of the burgers and brats absolutely perfect.

But the point is (I had a point?), that porch is going to be perfect. A high ceiling, tons of room, a bbq on the porch to keep out of the weather, shelter from the western sun. They're even going to throw a natural gas nipple out there so I never have to run out and buy propane. Fantastic!

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry for no update in a while. I've been sick and work's been a bit much. I just finished the first set of corrections for a book Tuesday and I think it's going to press ... tomorrow? Plus, I have to typeset two other books for Monday and I have to do the corrections for three paperback editions for Monday as well. Sigh. Plus, the Avs vs. Wings starts tomorrow and my daughter starts a 5 day weekend Friday.

Anyway, I've been taking pictures but I've only just uploaded a bunch.

Work's been continuing on the porch and, otherwise, the crew has continued boxing the eaves (one of the more thankless jobs, IMO, as it doesn't look like much until you consider all of the tiny cuts and impossible angles involved). The crew's idea of "rough" carpentry almost makes me laugh. The joints are straight. The gaps are even all the way up the eaves. I honestly see no real reason for molding as there are no real sins to hide.

The HVAC people are working their way through the house, as are the electricians, and the poor plumber. I'm not sure how he's keeping all of the manifolds straight for the radiant heat along with all the rest of the plumbing, but he keeps moving.

They are starting to work out the logistics of getting the drilling rig out for the geothermal.

Rough inspections should be coming up in a couple of weeks, after which comes the mason and the insulation and drywall guys.

We can only go for a partial rough inspection as the tank's been delayed (grr) and won't be roughed-in in time to inspect it. I think it's now 1.5-2.5 weeks out. Sorry. I know you're all waiting for pictures. (Me, too!)