Todd's Tropical Fish

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to piggy back on this topic, but what are some other stores that people like? Seems every time I make the trip the stores I go to are low on corals, or have everything everyone else has.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
so why aren't these guys sponsors?...lets not give them to much credit ...lol

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I left the other day from Todd's ****ed. Won't give them my business again. They had a good selection of livestock and some anenome crabs I wanted to buy. However, the staff was too busy cleaning the store (though they didn't close for two more hours)...and weren't interested in answering any questions. The icing on the cake was I had to hit the restroom something fierce. I asked an employee if they had a restroom and she said they did, but Sam had the key and she didn't know where he was. A couple minutes later I saw a man ringing some people out and asked the girl again if that was Sam and she said it was. I went up, starting to do the peepee dance....and asked if they had a restroom. He said, "No we don't." I just stared at him for a few seconds and said, "Really?" He said, "nope". I was NOT in the mood that day to confront the issue and probably would've caused a scene. I just walked out knowing I would never be back and would spread my experience on.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
go to ELITE REEF !

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;104341 said:
go to ELITE REEF !
Elite is a significant drive from Todd's. However Todd's isn't known for their customer service like Elite is. I'm sure they cater to "their people" and ignore the rest since they probably get a bunch of browsers. There is another store just up the street called Fish Place off Havana and Yale. They might be more service oriented however I wasn't as impressed with their stock. They did have a good supply of dry rock if you are looking for one or two pieces to finish off your tank.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;104346 said:
Elite is a significant drive from Todd's. However Todd's isn't known for their customer service like Elite is. I'm sure they cater to "their people" and ignore the rest since they probably get a bunch of browsers. There is another store just up the street called Fish Place off Havana and Yale. They might be more service oriented however I wasn't as impressed with their stock. They did have a good supply of dry rock if you are looking for one or two pieces to finish off your tank.
they both suck! ... oceans apart is down the street (only open Saturday)

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think Todd's has a very good coral selection and customer service there blows try Great Barrier Reef has new owners.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;104399 said:
It would be nice if they were open more often. I did enjoy the one time I made it there...

303travism;104406 said:
I don't think Todd's has a very good coral selection and customer service there blows try Great Barrier Reef has new owners.
Todds is blacklisted for their service. I vented about them on another post already but screw them right where it counts!

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
303travism;104406 said:
I always liked Great Barrier Reef and they have always had great selection of fish, but not as much coral. Once you get down that far south we have a sponsor near there.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;104341 said:
go to ELITE REEF !
Oh, I do...on a regular basis!! ;) They are probably the closest next to Liquid Kingdom. I'm on the north side.

othercents;104346 said:
.... There is another store just up the street called Fish Place off Havana and Yale. They might be more service oriented however I wasn't as impressed with their stock. They did have a good supply of dry rock if you are looking for one or two pieces to finish off your tank.
I hit them up too since I was just down there to check out a few new LFS's. LONG drive for me. We weren't too impressed with anything there. They had some used equipment, but nothing I could've used unfortunately. I might have missed the dry rock too...I didn't see anything. Aqua Imports in Boulder had some awesome dry rock that I would love to snag...just WAY to expensive. We're talking almost $50 for one piece of DRY rock. I dunno...just seemed too pricey to me.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;104399 said:
If my Saturday opens up...I might just have to try them. Crappy that it's only open one day a week....what gives??

303travism;104406 said:
I went by Great Barrier a couple months ago when I was first getting started. Seen, done and learned so much since then I don't remember a whole lot. They all start running together honestly. I will say, except for Elite Reef...they stand out!! ;) I remember the guy I spoke with at GBR was great to talk to and took the time to BS about stuff. I was impressed with that. OH...they had an AWESOME corner tank (over 200g I think). They wanted $1500 for it and my budget was about $1k, so it was a no go for me...but it was a cool tank. I had visions of a deep reef with nice swimming space in front. :cool:

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;104478 said:
If my Saturday opens up...I might just have to try them. Crappy that it's only open one day a week....what gives??

I went by Great Barrier a couple months ago when I was first getting started. Seen, done and learned so much since then I don't remember a whole lot. They all start running together honestly. I will say, except for Elite Reef...they stand out!! ;) I remember the guy I spoke with at GBR was great to talk to and took the time to BS about stuff. I was impressed with that. OH...they had an AWESOME corner tank (over 200g I think). They wanted $1500 for it and my budget was about $1k, so it was a no go for me...but it was a cool tank. I had visions of a deep reef with nice swimming space in front. :cool:
They are mainly maintenance, and at one time totally maintenance. I guess after some of the people saw the store and saw some of the cool stuff, they decided that it would be worth it to open up for 1 day. I think that's the story that their website gives.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That corner tank you were looking at, at GBR dropped down to 1k.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
303travism;104659 said:
That corner tank you were looking at, at GBR dropped down to 1k.
NICE...it was an older tank IIRC...and would've needed the stand re-finished. A nice setup nonetheless!! I figured they would come down substantially or take an offer at some point, just based on the age alone.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Todd's Tropical Fish

After a lengthy absence from going to Todd's due to their pricing and RO water quality we decided to drop in today. We left ****ed off. I will not go back. We have spent several hundred dollars there last year and were regular customers. Today we were treated as if we had the plague and could not even get any kind of response when we spoke to staff there. They could not even return our hello when we said it while making eye contact with them. We were the only customers in the store when we got there. We were there to make a purchase, we will not go back again, I have learned my lesson.
We have decided to only patronize the vendors that have made the decision to sponsor this community forum.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
x2...I had one, and only one visit there. Totally treated like crap...when my better half asked if they had a restroom they flat told us no. She drove over to the 711. I then saw two people use their restroom ("friends of management i'm sure), which I investigated to learn was in fact a restroom. The treatment continued as bad as you experienced. It took everything I had to keep my patience and walk out without freaking out on someone there. Never again.

WatercolorsGuy;217714 said:
After a lengthy absence from going to Todd's due to their pricing and RO water quality we decided to drop in today. We left ****ed off. I will not go back. We have spent several hundred dollars there last year and were regular customers. Today we were treated as if we had the plague and could not even get any kind of response when we spoke to staff there. They could not even return our hello when we said it while making eye contact with them. We were the only customers in the store when we got there. We were there to make a purchase, we will not go back again, I have learned my lesson.
We have decided to only patronize the vendors that have made the decision to sponsor this community forum.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Todd's Tropical Fish

Justin144;219129 said:
Fish are WAY ovepriced here and there corals as well. never go
I used to go their for the live brine