Ugh another algae war

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after a couple months battling cyano and finally getting rid of that everything was fine but about a month later i have the dreaded bryopsis. So how do i get rid of this stuff. I don't want to boil my rock but i will if I have to. I have heard raising the Mag really high works but i would think that would hurt some coral. I wish there were natural predators of it but there isn't. So any suggestions?
Thanks

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I battled it as well about 6months ago. What I did was scrub my rocks with a brush and pull out as much by hand. That and I did a ton of water changes, after about a month it was all gone. I almost tossed in the towel at the end but I am glad I didn't. I did loose amlost all my coral and fish but some stuff made it. I think the biggest issue was me not jumping on it right away.

There are some good post on 3reef about how to get rid of it, using a kent product. I will see if I can find the threads again for you.

Kent tech M

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;94947 said:
I battled it as well about 6months ago. What I did was scrub my rocks with a brush and pull out as much by hand. That and I did a ton of water changes, after about a month it was all gone. I almost tossed in the towel at the end but I am glad I didn't. I did loose amlost all my coral and fish but some stuff made it. I think the biggest issue was me not jumping on it right away.

There are some good post on 3reef about how to get rid of it, using a kent product. I will see if I can find the threads again for you.

Kent tech M
Thanks
It isn't that bad yet. There is one rock in my tank that is really bad. I will try that

DGPets

Cleaner Shrimp
If it's only one rock, sometimes it is worth getting rid of the one trouble maker in order to save the rest of the tank from invasion.

Then you can boil/bleach/etc and reuse it as dead rock after cleaning it up.

High Magnesium levels can help slow it down and even kill bryopsis, but the Kent Tech M seems to be best at this as there is some secondary impurity that Bryopsis hates as concentrations increase.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DGPets;94954 said:
If it's only one rock, sometimes it is worth getting rid of the one trouble maker in order to save the rest of the tank from invasion.

Then you can boil/bleach/etc and reuse it as dead rock after cleaning it up.

High Magnesium levels can help slow it down and even kill bryopsis, but the Kent Tech M seems to be best at this as there is some secondary impurity that Bryopsis hates as concentrations increase.
I think I'm gonna use the Kent marine m. Do you guys carry it? And it is on a lot of my rocks there is just one rock that is really bad. Do you think I should take that one out?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just remembered, if you can pull out the rock do a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/tank water dip for 5 min. That took care of my hair algae, you may need multiple treatments. 5 min if you have coral on it, you can do more if you have no coral. I scrubbed it while in the dip. You'll lose all life on it, but it works.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kent Tech M is what I used to kill it off in my tank, and from what all I read it has to be the Kent Tech M, something in it that the rest of them dont have, So with that I raised the MAG to 1600 slowly.
I pulled the rock and poured boiling water over it since it was too big to put into a pot, also hit it with a blowtorch as i was tired of boiling pots of water lol

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay so i have took out the worst rock right now. I was kinda avoiding these because I heard they get eaten easily but some people have had success with lettuce nudibranches eating bryopsis. Do you guys think i should give it a try?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tried one, I dont know if he ate any of it or not, saw him for a few days after putting him in, havent seen him since.

phillipj2

Butterfly Fish
Bryopsis is nasty stuff over the years i've only got it from frags from other people. And it never shows up right away. I would pick it off and it would come back so I would chuck the frag. Once you get rid of it all watch closely so you don't get it again.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok well i got a great deal on the stuff i need from d&g. Got the kent marine m then remembering i don't have nay magnesium test kits so i got that to. So now my one question is. How often should i dose? Should i just follow the instructions on the bottle?

There's a long *** thread on Tech M on RC. The guy who invented the cure started it and people added their own experiences to it. I would read that and follow their recommended dosing instructions.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You need to do it everyday but slowly raise it, so you don't shook your system. Projectx will probably chime as he has done this before.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;95843 said:
There's a long *** thread on Tech M on RC. The guy who invented the cure started it and people added their own experiences to it. I would read that and follow their recommended dosing instructions.
Do you think you could post a link to that thread? I can't find it.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just got in, day from hell, I followed the instructions on the bottle for when your MAG is low, and dosed it every day until I hit 1600, kept it close to that for a few weeks. I havent see it since. Hope this helps