Ugh another algae war

I consider myself an expert on bryopsis lol as I battled it for so long and finally won. Don't even bother with trying to get predators, they won't eat it. I tried em all, sea hares, urchins, crabs, nudis etc u name it I tried it. This stuff nearly took me out if the hobby. So it turned out that the solution was simple..... Kent tech m. After dealing with it for over a year I took my mg levels to 1600-1700 ppm and it was gone overnight. Now I wish the story ended there. I didnt leave my mg levels high enough for long enough because mg is tough on inverts. Snails literally stop moving. Needles to say in order to really get rid of mine I had to keep the levels there for 3 months. Lost all my inverts but lost the bryopsis as well. I noticed that it seems to be particularly hardy in areas that I used reef epoxy. It grows out of the cracks and on some of those areas I had to literally drill the section of rock out as mg didn't seem to get it. Good luck!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tripple T;95956 said:
I consider myself an expert on bryopsis lol as I battled it for so long and finally won. Don't even bother with trying to get predators, they won't eat it. I tried em all, sea hares, urchins, crabs, nudis etc u name it I tried it. This stuff nearly took me out if the hobby. So it turned out that the solution was simple..... Kent tech m. After dealing with it for over a year I took my mg levels to 1600-1700 ppm and it was gone overnight. Now I wish the story ended there. I didnt leave my mg levels high enough for long enough because mg is tough on inverts. Snails literally stop moving. Needles to say in order to really get rid of mine I had to keep the levels there for 3 months. Lost all my inverts but lost the bryopsis as well. I noticed that it seems to be particularly hardy in areas that I used reef epoxy. It grows out of the cracks and on some of those areas I had to literally drill the section of rock out as mg didn't seem to get it. Good luck!
Wow thank you so much for the heads up about the in invertebrates I jut spent about $70 on a CUC so now there goin to my other tank :D

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;95844 said:
You need to do it everyday but slowly raise it, so you don't shook your system. Projectx will probably chime as he has done this before.
lol, how I dose, glug glug glug........right in the DT, ask Jaime, he will testify.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;95977 said:
lol, how I dose, glug glug glug........right in the DT, ask Jaime, he will testify.
Lol

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My mag is at 1250 right now so i still have some dosing to do

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;96124 said:
plucking and scrubing diligently will help quite a bit now that you are raising the Mg.
Okay so should i take the rock out of the tank when i scrub it because i have heard that they are like aiptasia and when you stress it out it grows even quicker. Do you think this is true? I have only heard it from a few people

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;96128 said:
yes, take it out, and scrub in a bucket.
K thanks i will do that today

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;95977 said:
I nearly knocked the jug from your hands, what you thinking dumping in a full jug like that? Whatever you're doing, it works, maybe you should setup classes.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pressure washer works good too :)...Alot better than scrubbing. I used it to get rid of all my HA. But I didn't care about the rock since I am running a new cycle.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jonthefb;96523 said:
the secret is....

ammonia!

shhh!
No way. Do you have any evidence of this? Sorry but ammonia is produced in our aquariums all the time, we wouldn't need techM to kill it. Not to mention of the 56 page thread on RC im sure it would have been discovered that ammonia was the secret.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do, but cant say much about it as we are currently having a peer reviewed study done and have hopes to publish an article about this very shortly.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What a tease!!! So when will the article come out? TechM has been killing bryopsis for 4+ years with no known reason why. Interested in seeing the article!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;96532 said:
What a tease!!! So when will the article come out? TechM has been killing bryopsis for 4+ years with no known reason why. Interested in seeing the article!
+1!!!!!!

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure. We did a study and presented at MACNA 2 years ago with our findings, and right now we are having an unbiased peer repeat the study to ensure results.

The crappy thing is that to market a product as an algaecide, you_SHOULD_have the product registered with the EPA which is very expensive and if the EPA gets a wild hair up their arse because of something regarding your product, they can come in and seize EVERYTHING. We basically developed an amazing marine algaecide, but because of the risk related to EPA registration, it will never see the light of day.

Pretty sad.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay well even with me dosing daily with kent marine m my mag will not go up. It has been almost a week now and everyday i have tested mag and dosed but my mag will not go past 1300 ppm. Is this okay? Or is my test kit probably not working?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks for the link. Now i just have to dose 827 ml more. lol