Wavemaker question

So I just ordered some wavemakers and was curious if 2 800 gph wavemakers were to much for a 75 gal reef tank? I also have 2 240 gph wavemakers (not in the tank). How should I set them up in my tank. It's a standard 75 gal tank. Thanks

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya my 75g has a mp40, wp10 and my return which is about 5-7k gph roughly depending on time of day and the cycle of the mp40

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
With most sps, there isnt really such a thing as to much flow, but with meatier corals like lps or mushrooms/softies there is and you have to know/place them accordingly. most of that flow is across the top half of the tank where my sps is and they love it, lower to mid area is med flow (Lps areas) and bottom corners are pretty low flow (Softy zones).
I was running an wp25 and wp10 for a while till the wp25 died on me. It was less flow and corals generally seemed happy, but since I had a mp40 laying around I replaced with that and now I think I should have put that in alot sooner. It provides twice the flow but since it isnt a tight narrow beam of high pressure it actually works a lot better and my coral couldnt be happier. Plus my fish love swimming up in the path of it and riding the flow back across the tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya with most of the softies and small lps you have and since you dont have a ton of rock, I think you will likely be fine with that flow but I would play with the placement of the corals and the pumps to figure out the best positions for each. That can take time to find the right balance

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
djromo;351387 said:
OK so from the video does it seem like everything is good? I just want to make sure so I don't kill anything
If the corals are opening to their fullest then you are good, if not try them in a different less direct spot