What do you guys do for power outages?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;328660 said:
Looks like that even has the port for a generator cable just need to wire in the plug.
That is correct but we ran the generator hookup to the outside of the house. This unit has option for indoor and outdoor hookups.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want to backfeed your house, you can just use a 220 dryer outlet. Turn the main breaker off and switch the rest of them off as well. Hook the genny up to the dryer outlet, switch the dryer on and then turn on the breakers that you need. Not automatic, but pretty reasonably priced.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
$499 for an auto transfer unit, whatever for a generator and few hundred to install... seems way less than 4k to me?

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
LeviK;328667 said:
$499 for an auto transfer unit, whatever for a generator and few hundred to install... seems way less than 4k to me?
Im not sure, but he is licensed and a friend that u trust so I will wait and see what he comes up with

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LeviK;328667 said:

your forgetting a generator that can be auto started. that is the expensive part.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A long cycle generator that can work with a auto transfer switch will be several thousand. Sure, you could use even a large KW Lowes or Harbor Freight generator, but those things are like 25% duty cycle are more made to do a few hours worth of work here and there.

You will need a permit in most places around here. Some guys might do it without, but be prepared if they ask you to get one.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Probably $1000 to get it installed with permits... maybe more.

BTW - 11kw is not enough to run a whole house, but you can probably pick and choose enough to get by.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I ran a cheap craftsman electric start gas generator out of my basement when I lived in ohio. Turned off main breaker. Plugged in extension cords that attached to each device and had enough electricity for the tv, toaster oven, coffee maker, fridge and furnace and we were out of power almost every winter for 3-5 days at a time. Generator still works and it's now 12 years old.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LeviK;328681 said:
I ran a cheap craftsman electric start gas generator out of my basement when I lived in ohio. Turned off main breaker. Plugged in extension cords that attached to each device and had enough electricity for the tv, toaster oven, coffee maker, fridge and furnace and we were out of power almost every winter for 3-5 days at a time. Generator still works and it's now 12 years old.

I think that large number was for auto starting generators (Automates the process and no manual interaction required. but that might just be me.)

As for manual, $800 for a auto swap box and generator seems more than necessary.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
sethsolomon;328683 said:
I think that large number was for auto starting generators (Automates the process and no manual interaction required. but that might just be me.)

As for manual, $800 for a auto swap box and generator seems more than necessary.
3k is an 11kw generator with the auto transfer switch. WAY overkill as that will power the entire house and the neighbors.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
jda123;328680 said:
Probably $1000 to get it installed with permits... maybe more.

BTW - 11kw is not enough to run a whole house, but you can probably pick and choose enough to get by.
Whole house as in what is needed to survive. I'm sorry but during a power outtage, running your porch lights is a slap in the face to your neighbors that don't have power. Running what you need like fridge etc is what I am talking about.