What do you guys do for power outages?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is not that hard. All that you need is a generator capable of turning the motor and a few relays on your furnace and running your heaters and return pump -1000 or 1500w could probably get this done. If you can do this, then you can keep your tank warm and oxygenated... which can get you about a week before the corals start to miss the light.

If you are out for long in the winter, then you will need more heaters than normal to keep your tank warm if your house gets cold (unless you have like a 300W heater in a biocube, or something). Gas furnace will not need much power. If you have an electric furnace, then you will need a very large generator and a more complicated solution.

You can keep the tank running with extension cords, but if you don't want to pig-tail the furnace, then you might need a back feed somehow.

Auto transfer switches, microwaves and TVs are all not necessary, but still might be useful. Only you can decide.

If you are in an area where disaster could hit (fires, floods, etc.), then a very solid, large system with an ATS that runs on LP with a 500 gallon tank could be for you.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm just here, a broke college student, trying to figure out how to heat the tank using propane from the bbq lol.

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShaneOMac;328624 said:
Hey guys, I just moved to the Springs from california a few months ago. Winter coming and ..........outage last year and lost 75% of my livestock, some of which i had had for almsot 5 years. ...................................... i'd ideally like something i could plug the whole system into that would automatically kick on if the power to go out.......................... consider that money is not a factor. I lost over 5k in livestock last year....... spent a lot of money building my system back up and as long as it doesn't require something being built into the house (I'm renting) I'm not opposed to investing in some piece of mind.

Thanks guys!
You lost over $5000 bucks to a power outage! So, a few thousand to save the investment should be no big deal, right?

Requirements: Propane powered, automatic, and big enough to run a house.

Get your landlord's permission to install something like this. It can easily be "removed" when you leave, or maybe he would like it as a feature of the house and maybe buy it himself/take the price off of your rent. (Can dream, right?)

Following along.....:popcorn:

GC

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have an apex, a huge fully automatic ATO and autostart generator isnt really necessary. What you do need at a minimum is this.

1. UPS with enough capacity to power a powerhead, your apex, an airstone, and your router/modem for 12 hours (in case it happens while you are asleep or at work).

2. A generator of your choice with enough capacity to power your pumps, heaters, and airstone (you could just get one big enough for the entire tank as well)

3. Set the apex up for power monitor enabled as described in the 2013 MACNA presentation by terrance. When you get an email that power is out, turn on the generator or send someone to do it and plug your UPS and EB8s into the generator

Last edited by a moderator: