What should I do with this??

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

Is this better Balz? :). As I was hammering the rock a pod came flying out haha! Ill have to wait a week or two to add stuff because ammonia was like .1 and temp was at 85! :O

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's an aqueon evolve 2. Honestly its super nice cause I just grab everything from my main tank to put in it. And all you gotta do is use a cup for water changes from your main tank Hehe!

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup! It has little overflow slots with a filter pad behind it. And it had room for a heater and the return pump it comes with. That's all you need!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lookin' GOOD!
If you fill a coke bottle with RODI and set it in the back upside down, it'll act like an autotopoff.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone and good idea Cindy! The problem is without a heater the temp is 74 and with the heater it's 85 D:

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Am I miss understanding how a heater is supposed to work? Shouldn't you set the heater to say 78 - the heater then would only kick on if the temp gets below 78 (+/- the accuracy of the heater)

So if the heater is stuck on then the the temp would go up to 85 or whatever temp that size heater would be able to get that amount of water up above the ambient temp in the room? (in this case you said 74, between room temp + heat from pump and lights)

Doesn't that mean something is wrong with the heater you are using?

Lets say your room temp is 70 but your water temp because of the return pump and lights goes up to 74 like you said. That means your pump heat and lights is +4 degree...so lets say your room temp drops to 60, the lights + pump should be able to keep the tank at 64.

So keeping with that, your room is 70 and your water temp is 74 - now you place a heater and set it at 70 degree. The heater will never turn on untill the temp drops down to 70...set it to 78 and it should kick on till it reaches 78 and then cut off. Not sure why you are reaching 80+ unless your room temperature is going up or you have some other pump kicking on that is adding more heat.

SkyDiv3r17;304891 said:
Thanks everyone and good idea Cindy! The problem is without a heater the temp is 74 and with the heater it's 85 D:

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;304896 said:
Am I miss understanding how a heater is supposed to work? Shouldn't you set the heater to say 78 - the heater then would only kick on if the temp gets below 78 (+/- the accuracy of the heater)

So if the heater is stuck on then the the temp would go up to 85 or whatever temp that size heater would be able to get that amount of water up above the ambient temp in the room? (in this case you said 74, between room temp + heat from pump and lights)

Doesn't that mean something is wrong with the heater you are using?

Lets say your room temp is 70 but your water temp because of the return pump and lights goes up to 74 like you said. That means your pump heat and lights is +4 degree...so lets say your room temp drops to 60, the lights + pump should be able to keep the tank at 64.

So keeping with that, your room is 70 and your water temp is 74 - now you place a heater and set it at 70 degree. The heater will never turn on untill the temp drops down to 70...set it to 78 and it should kick on till it reaches 78 and then cut off. Not sure why you are reaching 80+ unless your room temperature is going up or you have some other pump kicking on that is adding more heat.
Unfortunately with tanks less than 10 gallons, the heaters are just plug in for on and plug out for off. I couldn't find a heater that small (only 2 gallons) that automatically sticks at 78 degress. However I was told this heater would keep it at that, obviously it gets way too hot since it's just always running. Hopefully I can find a reliable heater!

Last edited by a moderator:
The big thing you have to take into account with these types of heaters is the ambient room temperature. The fluval keeps temp about plus or minus 3 degrees ambient room temp. In the dead of winter I had to move my nano to a different room because it was staring to keep the temp at 69 or 70. Just a little sometuing to keep in mind

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh I see what you mean. So this is made for like 10 degrees higher then. Good to know :)

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll probably grab the fluval. The 25 watt Cobalt was STUPID expensive at the lfs. Thanks for the input though Jeremiah!