What's the worst thing....

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got this idea from another forum and thought it would be interesting to hear from our local community about this....

What is the WORST thing you have intentionally introduced or done to your tank and why?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: What's the worst thing....

I've done two things I regret the most, use a stock tank as a fully functioning tank and not doing fish research. Turns out Possum and McCoskers wrasse don't get along with a sixline

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

yOdaddy

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sup mike. Worst thing I introduced intentionally was adding a pistol shrimp. It was so cute and cool how the whole mutualism thing worked in my head hahahaha....obviously it didn't end that way. Made a nonstop windstorm since I had sand and killed a couple of goby including my yasha and my six line wrasse

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Adding a giant free rock of Nuclear Holocaust zoas that Zoalander generously gave me :D

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bought a 35 gal mixed reef tank as my first ever saltwater tank. I didn't know doodly about either the fish or the corals, or anything else having to do with reefs.

Wouldn't ya know it, I kept watering the darn thing. Now it's grown into a 125 gallon desk lamp with a 150 gal sump!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CRW Reef;217474 said:
Adding a giant free rock of Nuclear Holocaust zoas that Zoalander generously gave me :D
What...no equal love for all zoas?

I don't want to talk about Nuc.Hol. either.....

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

JuanGutz;217476 said:
Adding dry rock to a new setup that had been in a barn for a year, still fighting phosphates and algae :(
What kind of rock was it? I added lace rock with same negative results once.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I first set up my tank many many years ago (ok 5 yrs) I was tipping my tank off with saltwater for a month than didn't understand why my salinity was so high haha (darn noobs).

My 30 sps tank I put some rock in that I knew I should of treated or dried out but was impatient and still 8 months later fighting Algea.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. adding anthelia to a tank
2. my first reef was a 6gal pico and couldn't get my phos and nitrates in line because I fed a cube of mysis everyday,
3. pistol shrimp with a yellow goby, covered up a 150$ chalice from wet thumbs
4. talking myself out of a vortech for a year, because I thought that a korilia would be fine.
5. not getting a good skimmer because I didn't want to spend the money
6. not looking for a local club forum for a few years
7. adding clown gobies to an sps dominated display( and wondered why my polyps wouldn't extend)
8. not having an ato for the first two years
9. being cheap
10. and finally, letting my wife make any decision about the tank...
Tony

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love Tony's #10 "letting my wife make any decision about the tank"

Find #9 to be soooo true. being cheap costs you more in the long run.

For me, the stupidest thing, well that would be bio pellets, or a variation I tried. When Bio pellets first came out they were super expensive… and were a miracle (the claim). A notion that was going around was to use rice, instead of the polymer, for the carbon source. So I took a BRS reactor, filled it half way with clean white rice. In a week, it turned to mush and had a awful smell, made my corals recess, and made the water milky. I didn’t lose anything but in hind sight – if it sounds stupid…. it probably is.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Added a dwarf angel to my display...figuring that I'd be able to train him to eat from my hand (to make catching him easier) and remove him if he got aggressive or started nipping sps. He decided that eating sps was less risky than feeding from my hand within a few weeks, and I had to tear apart the tank to get him out.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
1. Moving two yellow tail damsels from the old tank into my new display. It is impossble to catch them now. I HATE those fish!!
2. Not having a QT and adding fish straight to DT = stressed out fish = ich
3. Trying to be cheap, costs way more in the logn run.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;217479 said:
What kind of rock was it? I added lace rock with same negative results once.
It's was good rock but I knew it had hay and crap in it, I used a air house to get all out that I could then said screw it and ya four months later and it's still covered in algae. My lawnmower blenny looks pregnant all the time haha. Soooo fat.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Some really good stories here!! Good things to be learning...

Finally, not at my own expense!!!

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

JuanGutz;217567 said:
It's was good rock but I knew it had hay and crap in it, I used a air house to get all out that I could then said screw it and ya four months later and it's still covered in algae. My lawnmower blenny looks pregnant all the time haha. Soooo fat.
Time for a tang given you have the room.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2