What's the worst thing....

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Skipping QT is the worst for me. I invested in a full QT setup then let fish store contact talk me into skipping it… not necessary and more harm than good than good for fish…my source always sends me highest quality fish and I never have any problems. That cost me a full tank of big, expensive fish.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;217623 said:
Skipping QT is the worst for me. I invested in a full QT setup then let fish store contact talk me into skipping it… not necessary and more harm than good than good for fish…my source always sends me highest quality fish and I never have any problems. That cost me a full tank of big, expensive fish.
OUCH!!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I first started in this hobby I was at a LFS and saw this Turbo snail shell with this cool metallic bubble on it. I asked the owner of the shop what it was and he told me it was a decorative algae and was happy to sell me the shell for $1. Three months later it was on every inch of every rock, and that my friends is how I introduced bubble algae into my old 55g. I have a similar story about saw blade Caulerpa.... This was all many years ago when the old guy owned Great White Aquatics, I boycotted it up until Vince bought it, now it is my favorite shop in FOCO.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;217632 said:
When I first started in this hobby I was at a LFS and saw this Turbo snail shell with this cool metallic bubble on it. I asked the owner of the shop what it was and he told me it was a decorative algae and was happy to sell me the shell for $1. Three months later it was on every inch of every rock, and that my friends is how I introduced bubble algae into my old 55g.
Best. Worst thing. Ever.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;217632 said:
When I first started in this hobby I was at a LFS and saw this Turbo snail shell with this cool metallic bubble on it. I asked the owner of the shop what it was and he told me it was a decorative algae and was happy to sell me the shell for $1. Three months later it was on every inch of every rock, and that my friends is how I introduced bubble algae into my old 55g. I have a similar story about saw blade Caulerpa.... This was all many years ago when the old guy owned Great White Aquatics, I boycotted it up until Vince bought it, now it is my favorite shop in FOCO.
wow. I feel pretty lucky right about now that I've had mostly great advice from the local LFS's... other than the one that sold me a batfish for a reef tank. But that didn't qualify for this thread, because I investigated online while I was acclimating it, and it never actually got introduced into my tank. I gave the guy a piece of my mind when I returned it to the store, but I did manage to refrain from throwing the bagged fish at him. I'm not gonna name names, tho, because this wasn't all that long ago, and I think they might be sponsors...

I had this yellow watchman I purchased from Neptune's for like an insanely high $35 (I fell in love with him and had to have him right then!) then I found out how to sex them and searched around for a female, when she arrived I placed her in the same tank without quarantining her first....He was soooooo happy and was like 1/3rd of her size and swam all around her face showing off....... she gave him her fish herpes and they had both died by the next day.... I guess the moral of the story is use protection and quarantine your fish, no matter how excited you are to see them interact with one another.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Green Star Polyps
Xenia
Mushrooms
Waiting so long to get Calcium Reator
LEDs on my SPS tank
Not killing bryopsis as soon as I saw it

Suzanne Lynn;217658 said:
why a diamond watchman?
He likes to cover everything with sand constantly and I can't catch him to save my life... He also has a habit of taking a mouthful of sand then swimming to the top of the tank and releasing it over everything...lol

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: What's the worst thing....

Campbell;217733 said:
He likes to cover everything with sand constantly and I can't catch him to save my life... He also has a habit of taking a mouthful of sand then swimming to the top of the tank and releasing it over everything...lol
Simple more flow more flow. It won't stick to corals if your fish can't swim right Brahaha

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;217598 said:
Time for a tang given you have the room.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I've got two small ones, and the lawn mower blenny haha plenty to go around still!!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Topping off with an ro and forgot it was running. Fell asleep, poof woke up with a freshwater tank.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: What's the worst thing....

xjmav;218177 said:
Topping off with an ro and forgot it was running. Fell asleep, poof woke up with a freshwater tank.
Ahhh, I did that once...saved it before salinity got too low. Still overflowed alot and salinity got pretty low but all survived.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
using a HOB overflow.... having to restart it upon power failure. the flood! it was not a pretty sight.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Using a chemical cyno treatment and treating a 50 gallon tank the amout you use in a 50 gallon tank not taking into account all the live rock,sand so I nuked my tank lost almost everything.

When I first started in the hobby I learned that crushed coral is a horrible substrate, and a HOB overflow is the second thing I will NEVER use again, had it overflow several times when the power goes out.