When to start dosing?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Mural - pretty sure we have a spring break coming up. As long as you can dodge light saber attacks and naked barbies.

quackenbush;641601 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but for 30 gallons or less with a light stony coral demand, I'm don't see how the extra time and energy for a 2 part would be worth the cost savings.
That was my thought. Everything I've looked at made it look pretty complicated/expensive/required additional equipment purchases. That seems crazy for my tiny little tank and my 3 stories (plus Duncan and hammer I guess). If that's what I have to do, then so be it. Just seemed like there should be a simpler way for a small tank.

You dose the 5ml alternating with water changes? (Like dose Wednesday, change Saturday). Or do you do them together. I already purchased kalk, but setting up a drip system is going to destroy the all-in-one look of my hooded tank (since I don't have an ATO). And I'd have to dose around 3 times a day manually to avoid the pH spike, which just isn't going to work either. So I'm intrigued by your method with the all in one. Does it maintain you calcium levels?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did kalkwaser in my top off for a year and it was ok but when I switched to two part dosing system from brs it was so much easier. I have it set on timers/pumps and haven't done a water change in 6 months with decent growth (before the water change police comment, i know I should do more water changes but this is what works for me right now).

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So for my tank my levels are constant even after two weeks so I don't dose but things still grow pretty good. I would like it to grow better though

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
With a tank thats just starting corals, i.e. mine.....how far down the road should I plan on starting dosing?

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
JodiI;n641606 said:
You dose the 5ml alternating with water changes? (Like dose Wednesday, change Saturday). Or do you do them together. I already purchased kalk, but setting up a drip system is going to destroy the all-in-one look of my hooded tank (since I don't have an ATO). And I'd have to dose around 3 times a day manually to avoid the pH spike, which just isn't going to work either. So I'm intrigued by your method with the all in one. Does it maintain you calcium levels?
Sorry for the delay, I missed your response.

I do a monthly water change. 5 gallons for a 24 gallon cube. I add top off water on Wednesday and once over the weekend. I just add the 5ml of Salifert All-In-One to the Wed top off water. Levels appear to be consistent and stony coral growth is great. I am not super diligent with water testing, but I have seen nothing but positive effects..

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
JodiI;641606 said:
Mural - pretty sure we have a spring break coming up. As long as you can dodge light saber attacks and naked barbies.

That was my thought. Everything I've looked at made it look pretty complicated/expensive/required additional equipment purchases. That seems crazy for my tiny little tank and my 3 stories (plus Duncan and hammer I guess). If that's what I have to do, then so be it. Just seemed like there should be a simpler way for a small tank.

You should really look into getting an ato. It's a necessity for stability and will make life so much easier. You may being doing okay right now with keeping it topped off but over time you may forget or have a vacation. I'd much rather trust someone to just keep a container full then have to try to keep my water level consistent.