why did you

Dane

Angel Fish
why did you get into the hobby?
what was it that sparked your interest to dig deeper and start your own tank?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Simple always loved the color of saltwater but started with freshwater as "practice" Finally started saltwater and I will NEVER go back to freshwater. Saltwater is so amazing

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
ithought it would make me cool ....didn't work ...lol
no hmmm ....i seen one on craigslist and being the bargain shopper i am it all started from there
and i have had freshwater for bout 10 years too

120greefman

Did freshwater as a kid, went to salt in highschool, took some time off from the hobby. Started again when I had kids, now they are enthusiasts too. Simply love the hobby.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was getting bored burning my money, so I tried flushing it, only fun for awhile, so I bought a tank. :)

After breeding reptiles and amphibians, I wanted a similar if not more challenging hobby.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did freshwater for a while and was always mesmerized by the saltwater section at LFS. I was afraid of the cost but never won the lotto so decided to just do it finally.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;101848 said:
I was getting bored burning my money, so I tried flushing it, only fun for awhile, so I bought a tank. :)

After breeding reptiles and amphibians, I wanted a similar if not more challenging hobby.
+1 on the challenge, I love the depth of knowledge required, this is not a hobby for dummies!!!
I am just enamored with the complexity of these creatures, the fact that they live in such a hostile environment, waiting to eat one another in the craziest way you have ever seen.
I dig the Latin too.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some may say I never have gotten into the hobby. : ) But ever since I was a child I wanted one. We lived near the coast in cali and spent allot of time on the ocean. We would always go to this restaurant that had a reef tank and was mezmorized with it. I would woof down my dinner so i could go set by it until we left. My parents just never wanted to support a hobby that required any money or effort. As I got older I really got into cars and did that for a long time, when that ended I started looking for something new and remembered this was always something I loved as a child so figured I'd get involved. Even though I have yet to have a functional reef I still love spending all my free time reeding about and planning my one day dream tank.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a freshwater tank for years, deci decided to do a tank at work and got a 12 gallon nano, as if work wasnt stressful enough lol

Was always amazed at the colors, I loved the challenge, and still do

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
After I felt like I had accomplished all things I set out to do in the FW realm I needed something new. One of my freinds said SW isn't that hard you should try it........after 11 years here we are still trying to keep on top of the tanks and keep up with all the new advancements in reef keeping.

More importantly there is nothing like a full reef ....

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My wife wanted a tank.....started with a freshwater, then she saw saltwater fish and we had to change over.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;101893 said:
My wife wanted a tank.....started with a freshwater, then she saw saltwater fish and we had to change over.
lucky

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Something to do with playing in tide pools as a kid in Northern CA growing up. Honestly I can't remember a time in my life when I and/or my parents didn't have a marine aquarium.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been into fresh water my whole, life. I was into the African cichlids. I always said "I will never have saltwater to complicated" One evening several years ago me and my wife ran down to Aqua Mart to pick up some new Africans. Walked in the store and all the freshwater fish were gone. I was bummed. My wife and I walked around looking at all the stuff there and was just like man there is some really cool stuff. Even being in fish stores all my life never really paid much attention to the salt section. Then there was this guy who worked there "Chris I think" Steadily telling us what everything was and saying how you can frag them and sell/trade the coral and next thing you know he was showing us the 34 gal Solana that is now my daughters. So long story short we went for two particular cichlids and left with 34 gallon solana 50lbs, LR bucket of Salt, heater, lights, etc. My $100 trip turned into $700. The best thing about it, it was all my wifes idea so now I get no complaing from her and we have the 34 gallon, 110 gallon, 180 gallon and 12 gallon that are salt and the 55 gallon and 125 gallon fresh. So today we are just a couple happy reefers.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I kept freshwater tanks for many years, specializing in Discus after a while. Ended up with a couple of breeding pairs and started raising fry into adolescence... traded the young discus into the local stores and ended up with so much credit that I setup my first saltwater tank. Back then it was the only way you could spend more than $100 on a fish. That was 20 years ago.... the beauty still holds my interest... though sometimes I do think burning $100 bills might be more entertaining. Then I stop to look at my tanks and am enthralled once again.

rghering

Cleaner Shrimp
I've always had a love for water, I love to fish and boat, but my fish keeping started out with freshwater for nearly 20 years, then a buddy brought me into the colorful world of salt and reef back in January this year. My 125 is now about 7 months old and is doing great ( no more algae problems either ) I have TONS of coralline growing beautiful reds, maroons, and purples. The few corals I have are thriving.. And yes I still keep a freshwater tank, but its not filled with pretty fish, its a natural tank with 2 bluegill and a catfish. Makes for a great contrast from sea to shore. I also picked up a nice rose anemone from my friend last week and its great. Just need lots more corals :) And a few clowns..

Ryan