Workshop Build

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Munch;337030 said:
When's the open house?
Jan 1st when we start slinging mud. :)

I'll definitely invite everyone over once I actually have an aquarium up and running again. That won't be for at least another 6-12 months when the basement is finished. Unfortunately.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The drywall is finally finished. Hung, mudded, textured, and the inside walls are painted. Not much to see but a lot of white.

I started staging a few cabinets in the room they'll be hung.

Then, I started the long process of placing them permanently. I am doing a lot of custom work around these cabinets to make them work for various purposes. It will make more sense as it all comes together and tools/equipment is incorporated.

The floor is naturally sloped for good drainage being a garage. That's great for water, but a pain when it comes to placing cabinets. I want all of the counters to be ~35" off of the ground uniform. That doesn't work out when the floor slopes a few inches over a few feet. However, I'm doing the best I can. I am building platforms for most of the cabinets and leveling it before placing the cabinets. I'm also reinforcing everything because I don't want any sag over time from use.

I finally placed one layer for the workbench top today. I will put on another layer of MDF tomorrow making it a 1 1/2" work surface.

I still have painting to do on some exposed wood surfaces and some trim pieces to make up to cover the exposed wood platforms the cabinets sit on. The MDF counter top will get sealed with a clear poly of some sort. I like the contrast and the ability to sand down the surface after it's been used a few years to clean it up.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;339528 said:
Nice job working with the slope. I have some serious garage envy!
Thanks. Unfortunately, I built my rolling work bench before installing any of the cabinets. Now that I throw a level across the counters and the work bench, it's an inch low due to the slope. I might end up raising it to match. It's nice when you're working on bigger projects for all work spaces in the area to be the same height. I'm really happy with how the space is working out.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
On Sunday, I built the framework to put the two full sized cabinets on.

This next weekend I will start installing all of the upper cabinets. My wife saw my plan on how they would be laid out and started offering alternative suggestions. After trying to explain how and why cabinets were placed, we found a really good alternative. The slow part of the process now will be needing to hold up progress to paint. I have some ideas for a future paint booth that will retract up into the ceiling. That will probably be one of the last things I do before moving onto the basement.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I cut apart some cabinets that were intended to be shallow and built a single deeper cabinet for all of my electronics testing equipment. It will be sealed to keep out dust. I am putting vents on the side top and bottom that will have some sort of filter that will allow the heat to be dissipated out. The top will have 2 x 120VAC vent fans blowing air out. Besides the testing equip, there will also be a desktop PC and a stereo receiver inside. I am recycling my old stereo from my bachelor days out here in the garage.

This is the left side of my workbench area where a majority of the electronic components will be stored.

The rest of the workbench area. I still have a lot of work to do with shelving and building in the computer monitors.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Workshop Build

CRW Reef;340263 said:
Wow man killer work shop!!!!! Man that looks awesome,great work
ThunderTwonk;340264 said:
Yeah that's awesome! Super jealous
Thanks. I've been planning this for a long time now. I've had a lot of time to think about the changes I had wished I could make from my last shop in WA.

I had time before work today to install another cabinet on top of the tall ones to level out the tops of all of the uppers on that side. I can throw the final shelf up top now that will cap off everything. I will probably have to add a low profile light there because that work space is shaded now.

I also wired up the vent fans in the electronics cabinet with a lighted rocker switch. I managed to give myself a nice blister (like a moron) from trying to cut the whole in the metal face with a forstner bit that was intended for wood only. I couldn't remember what the bits were rated for and was in a hurry. I fried the bit and then touched the back of the metal cabinet face (like a moron) to see how far I had gotten through. Right tool for the job. That's the key. And don't be a moron like me!

Last edited by a moderator:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I feel like I didn't get much done this week. I ended up focusing on a lot of smaller random parts of the project that don't add up to a lot of visible progress. I installed the top shelf that caps off all of the cabinets around the shop. I still have to extend it around two walls but I need to buy the shelf supports for those. I also have to install the cabinet that will shield the computer monitors from dust. That will go in that open space in the first picture.

I prepped all of the various trim pieces to cover up the exposed wood and started painting them.

I also finally got around to building two shallow drawers that sit on opposing sides of the work bench space. They are 24" deep drawers that also serve as additional work space. Pull out the drawer and then lift up the lid on piano hinges. I still need to cut out and paint the drawer face.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I ordered some from Home Depot online. That went well the first time. I placed a second order and it couldn't have gone worse. Their online ordering is almost an entirely separate corporation. When things don't arrive on time or arrive damaged, the local store is helpless. The local store is aware how messed up the system is. I like working with them for items they have in stock but highly recommend you not order online.

My local Sears carries quite a few of these Gladiator cabinets in stock. I have been working with them for everything after the HD debacle. I had to order a few with their online service. No issues.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol. I was looking for an alternative after we had a similar debacle with Home Depot online with our Bath remodel.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;340978 said:
Lol. I was looking for an alternative after we had a similar debacle with Home Depot online with our Bath remodel.
:). Yep. I made sure I had a civil but clear conversation with the manager to let them know they would be loosing a significant amount of money from me with the online ordering. The local store can't correct the problems with the larger corporation but they can pass on the message. It seems like I'm still in there every day buying something. Is it a bad sign when they know your name before checking out?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Small update. I ran some Ethernet and a coax line from my basement to the garage. I left one cabinet loose so that I could pull it out long enough to run wiring behind the cabinets. Most cabinets sit out from the wall. The void makes it relatively easy to chase wires. There will be two dedicated internet lines and 4 spare Cat5 lines for future use, whatever need there may be.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been working a lot of nights on random little projects in the shop. I finished the baseboard trim to cover the wood platforms that the cabinets sit on. I installed the drawer faces. I also started integrating some of the electronics for the shop. I have a couple rack mount power strips installed in the shop. I also installed the dust-proof cabinet that the two computer monitors sit in. Because this is a multi-purpose shop, I will be doing electronics one day and making dust the next. The power for the monitors run through a DJ power strip with x 8 switches so that I can easily turn them off and conserve energy without needing to get into the cabinet.

The DJ power switches also run x 2 T-5 HO lights mounted above the work benches. The remaining circuits on the DJ strip all run to outlets mounted under the bench area so that I can plug in future equipment that I want to be switched. Once all of the wiring is complete, I'll install a back wall that shields of the extra outlets and wiring from dust and from being kicked while I'm sitting at the bench.

The hinged access door you see below the monitors on the left is a space where I can slide in the computer keyboard and mouse while not in use. That will have a wire spool mounted on the face that will hold the door close and allow easy access to the wire while I'm prototyping.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Workshop Build

MartinsReef;342296 said:
UMMMM..........WOW! Not sure what else to say.
I'm pretty happy with it. My wife says the same thing (WOW) but I'm not sure she is saying it in the same tone. She's already told me she will put time limits on my garage visits.

Munch;342299 said:
Need a 52" tv over the monitors now :)
The thought has crossed my mind. :) There's a big space there that needs to be filled. I also forgot to incorporate a mini fridge. Big oversight. Now I have to go inside for a beer at the end of the day. I guess I have to refer back to my wife's time limit.

Or, I have to get her hooked on woodworking so that she wants to be out there with me. We saw a show the other day that makes her want to learn the lathe for "crafty" bowls and similar things. I'm just concerned about the fact that she needs two hands and all ten fingers for her work.

Last edited by a moderator:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
We have family coming in this week and friends visiting over the weekend, so no work will get done. Mandatory fun with friends and family. So, we finally cleaned the shop a little and touched up paint. This room is almost done. I have one shallow cabinet to build, a few shelves to put up still, and move in / hook up the electronics testing equipment. I am taking advantage of the vertical space with a lot of shelving. It's obviously not convenient 12' in the air, but there are plenty of materials I have laying around that I only use once in a while and plenty of other materials I've had to dispose of because there was no reasonable way to store it. I take a little bit of inspiration from Mythbusters and their giant wall of shelving. I have never regretted having too much storage space.

The hooks around the perimeter of the ceiling make up my cheap approach to a cable tray. I am running speaker wire, ethernet, drop cords, and possibly air line hose through those. It's a quick and modular way to run wire around the shop.

I also will likely be storing lumber in the overhead area. I will be trying to keep more wall space open in the adjoining room for clamps, hoses, drop-cords, fastener racks, and other miscellaneous items like that.