Brainstorming

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
So...I like DIY solutions to reefkeeping situations. What's an inexpensive way to alter the direction of water flow so there are no dead spots in a tank? I was in Lowes the other day and wandered through the plumbing section when I happened to see the gear-driven sprinkler heads. You know, the kind that shoot a solid stream 20 feet. I had a great idea. They have a 1/2" insert that serves to restrict the rate of water flow, and to shape the stream. They arc is adjustable from a few degrees to 360 degrees. They have a spring that forces them to retract when the water's off so a mower won't hit them.

What if the insert was removed to allow a larger volume of water to escape with less of a water jet force?
What if the spring was removed and the riser was glued in the fully extended position?
What if it was placed inverted so the nozzle was under water?
What if 2 or 3 were placed in a large tank, using part of the return water flow, to cause the water flow to change direction in the tank?
It could be mounted so that only a few inches protrude below the water's surface.
Hmm.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the spirit of DIY I love it, but I don't know how much cheaper it would be than to get the hydor flo guys or the loc line accelerators. If you do try this out and get it to work make sure you share it, I'd like to see it in action.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Crazy, lol, I keep having similar thoughts every time I see plumbing stuff for other applications.
If it seems like it would work, and you have the money and time, then why not?....The only thing that can happen is failure.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Wicked Demon;154651 said:
Crazy, lol, I keep having similar thoughts every time I see plumbing stuff for other applications.
If it seems like it would work, and you have the money and time, then why not?....The only thing that can happen is failure.
The concept is sound. I think the only question is whether the stream is too narrow. I could always use them outdoors if it doesn't have the desired effect.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
rockys_pride;154671 said:
What pump(gph) would you use to power this setup?
Good question. I have an 8 foot tank, and was thinking maybe I'd tap into the line from the return water pump to supply 4 heads, and use a ball or check valve to restrict the flow to each head until I get the desired effect. I could even set it up so each head gets a different rate of flow, which would totally randomize the timing of each head.

This is all just "what iffing". I love the DIY aspects of hobbies. In the end, I may just decide to go with a couple of SCWDs.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
What I really like is that the only part that needs to be in the water is the nozzle, so I could get away with just an inch or so protruding down into the water. They're maybe an inch in diameter and black, so they'd be a lot less obvious than a series of Tunzes stuck all over the glass.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Yeah, I remember that one. I'm not in favor of DIY 115V electrical items near salt water though, and I like the idea of tapping into the main return pump as a water flow source vs. using several modded power heads.

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont know if I'm missing it completely but they have heads for fountains that do more of a cone shape that can go from very wide to almost a jet.... than your getting a "sweeping" motion around your tank. However I don't know if that would restrict the flow too much for you....