DIY 20G Sump/Refugium

I have a few questions because I haven't done this before. Display tank is 40 gallon breeder, sump will be 20 gallon high. My return pump does 700GPH.

1. What kind of spacing do I need between baffles with 700GPH flow? If I have too many baffles will the water be slowed down too much and will the system end up backing up?

2. I want glass baffles because the tank is glass - is it possible to have grating drilled into the top of glass baffles to create a bubble trap?

3. How full should I keep my sump? Ex: if my return pump stops working, how many extra gallons of space should I keep in my sump to make sure it doesn't overflow?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a bubble blaster 3000 which is 750 gph. Here's how I did mine and I don't have any issues. I have my return slowed down though. You dont want to circulate the system more than 10 times per hour so keep that in mind. You can see my bubble trap.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Make sure you use 100% silicone or aquarium safe silicone. Don't use anything else. My return area is 8" tall x 6.5 wide x 18" when you turn your return off the whole sump will fill up with the water from the dt. It won't just fill where ever your dumping your return from the dt. If your using an ato you won't need a huge return area. If your not using an ato you will want a larger return pump area to hold more water. Make sense? The other baffles and heights depends on your skimmer? Or fuge area whatever your doing.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
just a FYI for silicon i use stuff from homedepot or lowes it 100% silicon but make sure it does not say mildew free or mold free. ill take a look at the tube i got but im pretty sure it was GE window silicon......but ill double check tonight

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;170366 said:
just a FYI for silicon i use stuff from homedepot or lowes it 100% silicon but make sure it does not say mildew free or mold free. ill take a look at the tube i got but im pretty sure it was GE window silicon......but ill double check tonight
That is what I got and it is about 5 bucks a tube at the home depot. 24 hour cure time but that is pretty standard.