Random Flow Generators

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Has anyone used the random flow generators like the ones made by Vivid Creative Aquatics on their return lines? If so what are your thoughts.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
oh yeah, petg is finicky. Yeah i was looking at this one a while ago. This designed by the guy from vivid creations, but it's slightly different than the one they sell

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used one of the vca ones on an old tank and really liked the randomness it put out. It really showed with a large Goni I had. It is very particular with flow, it needs to be in the right range that they give.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Which printer do you use? New print heads are usually available. I hope that doesn't happen to me lol
Our 3d Printer is about 3 years old and is made by XYZ. They suck. They force you to use propritary filament, and when I looked at a new print head it was $100 plus shipping...and it wasn't easy to find. Then I look at newer printers, that will let you use any filament, that are around $200 and I can't justify $100 for a printer I don't particularly like. My kids probably paid for the printer twice over during the fidget spinner craze a couple of years ago. They would print them out and put bolts in the ends and skateboard bearings in the center.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I picked one up for the Red Sea 750 in the library at Reef Stock. I got it installed, but never really got to see it in action before they shut everything down. I had 3D printed some for my tank a few years ago, but they broke too easily when installing them on the loc-line. I spoke the VCA rep at ReefStock and he told me that there was a special way to set it up to avoid that from happening, but I cannot remember the setting.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our 3d Printer is about 3 years old and is made by XYZ. They suck. They force you to use propritary filament, and when I looked at a new print head it was $100 plus shipping...and it wasn't easy to find. Then I look at newer printers, that will let you use any filament, that are around $200 and I can't justify $100 for a printer I don't particularly like. My kids probably paid for the printer twice over during the fidget spinner craze a couple of years ago. They would print them out and put bolts in the ends and skateboard bearings in the center.
I have a lulzbot, also about 3 years old. The head is almost 200 to replace, but I love mine lol. With PETG I had to print a lot slower to not have as many issues. I made a bunch of those spinners too but they would break after a couple of months.It will be a few days before I can to print one, Passover atm.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I picked one up at reefstock as well. I’ve been pretty happy with it. Makes the nems look great.

I spoke 3D printing with him at reefstock as well. Said they made the walls pretty thick, but not really heavy on the infill. FWIW, my printers seem to always be broken. Was worth it to pay the $16 for his printed versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one of the Vivid ones running. It works well if you get the flow right... too much or too little and they will not do much. They need a bit of velocity, so an underpowered DC pump might not work them very well, but any AC pump should do fine or any DC pump that does not wilt under back pressure... assuming the correct GPH and all of that.

In all honesty, they were so cheap, I did not want to mess with trying to figure out how to make my own. :)

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have the Accel Aquatics on both of my return outputs and love them, gives great nem movement and IMO looks cleaner than 3d printed ridges.
Does not work with Locline however