First saltwater tank, 29 gallon Biocube

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Isn't NanoCustoms out of business? I'd love to do an Apex or something, but the JR is $150, plus another $100 for the light control add on. That's a little much when these two controllers are under $80.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
scchase;135232 said:
Dwarf angels are divided into 2 subgenuses. The first Centropyge has lips that are nearly equal in size and includes Bicolors, Eiblis, halfblacks, lemonpeels, keyholes, and heralds amongst a few others and all tend to be poor choices as far as reef safeness is concerned. The second subgenus is Xiphipops which includes Argis, Flamebacks, Coral Beauties, Rusties, potters, multicolors, and repslendants and are most easily identified by their smaller lower lip which makes their jaw look more underslung. They tend to be much more reef safe than the first group but still might pick. There is also a thrid genus/subgenus depending on who you pay attention to that has three members the venustus, multibar, and peoppermint. Not as much info on these guys though what is otu there is that they are more towards the reef safe side.
Great info!! Thanks for sharing it. Probably why my Coral Beauty has done fairly well in my nano reef! I should probably hit you up as well on my stocking list (and order to add them) for my two-tank build that you saw. Since talking a couple weeks ago, I know you got this stuff down. ;) I've had some great insight, but more heads together usually come up with the most solid answers.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just FYI and caution for the newbies. Its a pretty common belief that some angles are safe. Cherub pygmy angles are often one that is mentioned. I have heard this many times over and many people do have luck with them so there must be some truth to it. This was not the case for me I had a Cherub pygmy for about 10 days before it decimated half the corals in my tank. My following statements are directed for people new to the hobby.

When it comes to angels no mater how safe someone tells you they are, its a gamble plain and simple. If you are seriously considering adding an angel to your reef ask yourself one question first. "Do I like this fish so much that I am willing to tear my tank apart to get it out (if) it starts being a nuisance?"

If the answer is yes go for it. If not there are plenty other fish in the sea? :)

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;135923 said:
Isn't NanoCustoms out of business? I'd love to do an Apex or something, but the JR is $150, plus another $100 for the light control add on. That's a little much when these two controllers are under $80.
Well I guess they are, didn't know that. I think they are now building the new JBJ unibody. the duo box that controls it is the one I have.
Those led controllers are pretty sweet will have to look into them for my next build.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any other input on the DIY LED controllers I linked on page 7?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;135923 said:
You can find a used Acjr for $80-$100 with a dc8 and all the fixins:)

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh really. Where could I find that? Pretty sure I could wait a bit longer for my LEDs if I could find that deal

Drew

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;135903 said:
Ok guys, getting closer to doing LEDs. I'm going to be doing dimmable as I don't want to fry everything. I also don't want to mess with pentomiters(sp). So I was thinking of getting a basic controller like the ones offered from LEDGroupBuy.com and Boostled.com

LEDGroupBuy: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/dim4-4-port-led-sunrise-sunset-controller-v1-0/

BoostLED: http://www.boostled.com/collections/diy/products/typhon-led-controller-kit

I've been emailing back and forth with Milad from LEDGroupBuy and he's been very responsive and willing to answer all my questions. It also appears that the DIM4 that he offers is a little more flexible in the fact that it can turn on fans as well as LEDs without having to get any extra equipment. It's also more flexible in the drivers it can drive.

LEDs and heatsink are only like $150, but the controller and driver triples the price. That's pretty much either controller though.

What do you guys think? These will be going in my Biocube hood, so any premade LED fixture is pretty much out.
So I have pretty much researched everything I can about both of these systems and it seems like the DIM4 is a better unit out of the box for a couple of reasons; the relay ports, the 500mA circuits and the plug and play setup. The downside is if you want to use it to actually switch on and off the drivers you need to spend another 40$ on the relay board they sell. Also it doesn't offer any upgrade ability.

The typhon on the other hand can be used to control fans if you wanted to just run them on a 10V pwm dimming circuit and sacrifice a led channel. It offers the benefit of having an arduino base so you can write your own software for it, meaning you get what you want. It is also half the price.

One area where they differ majorly and means you need to determine which you will use before hand is that one uses PWM dimming and the other uses a 0-10V dimming circuit.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask me. At this point I'm actually kinda considering just building my own on an arduino base.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ask Projectx abput the reef angel he just got. Sounds like he really likes it and worth it for the cost.

http://www.reefangel.com/

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Metalsniper;136448 said:
So I have pretty much researched everything I can about both of these systems and it seems like the DIM4 is a better unit out of the box for a couple of reasons; the relay ports, the 500mA circuits and the plug and play setup. The downside is if you want to use it to actually switch on and off the drivers you need to spend another 40$ on the relay board they sell. Also it doesn't offer any upgrade ability.

The typhon on the other hand can be used to control fans if you wanted to just run them on a 10V pwm dimming circuit and sacrifice a led channel. It offers the benefit of having an arduino base so you can write your own software for it, meaning you get what you want. It is also half the price.

One area where they differ majorly and means you need to determine which you will use before hand is that one uses PWM dimming and the other uses a 0-10V dimming circuit.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask me. At this point I'm actually kinda considering just building my own on an arduino base.
I understand what you are saying about the Typhoon. The ability to make it do just about anything you want is nice. Only problem is I'm not a programmer and not sure how deep I want to get into that stuff.

The nice thing about the DIM4, is that it's ready to go. I would only need this for my lights, so being able to customize isn't that high of a priority. I'll probably get an Apex JR or similar down the road, but wouldn't need it to do the lights. Would that be nice, yea but I don't think it's worth the extra money right now.

If you weren't going to build your own, which one would you get? I'd really like to do my LEDs with birthday money and that's coming up in the middle of February. Maybe if you end up doing your own I could help out where I could, throw you some cash and get one for me too?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So along with still trying to decide about a controller for my LED upgrade, I'm now thinking about drilling my tank and running a sump. Biggest reason I'm thinking this way is it's going to be several years before I get to go to a bigger tank. Also, the added water volume would be nice. A standard 10g will fit front to back in my stand, but is that big enough to really be worth it? Also, if I did the sump would it be worth tearing the tank down and removing the back false wall? It would give me another ~5" of depth to the tank, though not sure how I'd get the lighting back there.Just some ideas I'm throwing around.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
maybe i should start a new thread but this might fit ...have you looked DIYing the mazarra controllers ....they look pretty sweet and was wondering myself if it was possible

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't really looked into DIYing a controller. I do computer support for a living and could probably tackle the hardware part, but programing is something I've never really done. Also, it would have to cost about half what the DIM4 does, otherwise I'd rather go with something that works out of the box and doesn't require me spending a lot of time learning new things, which isn't bad, but also has more area's for me to screw something up.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm trying to get everything ready to hook up the dual reactor with carbon and GFO. How do I "T" off of the line from my MJ1200? I'd rather not add another pump for heat issues.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should I do a T or go for more of a Y?

Also, do I have to use the stiffer Murlok hose that comes with the reactor, or can I do the regular clear hose?

Drew

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
t or Y ..i dont think it matters

im not sure about the hose ...if i were to guess i would say as long as there isnt alot of pressure it shouldn't matter

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't think there would be much pressure as its the same hose I use for the return pump. Gotta go to HD tomorrow and see if I can find all the plumbing parts I need.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Changed the scape a bit. What do you guys think?

This really opens up room for corals.

Drew

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is looking good. I like the rock work a better as well.