First saltwater tank, 29 gallon Biocube

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quick question guys. What do you think these black dots are?

Sorry for the bad pic but it's the best I can do. They move around so I know they're alive, but I don't know if they are good or bad. They only seem to be on this one rock for now, so of they're bad I'd rather take care of them now. Also, I have what I think are cocopods, but they are all over the rock and not the glass like a lot of people say.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, was on the rock when I got it. Might have to pull the whole rock to get a better pic. I'll try though.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Redid the rock a bit for my new addition, a Coral Beauty from Mooga.

You can see my new hammer from Aquatic Arts and the Coral Beauty in the top left corner. Pulled a few rocks so not sure how much I have now. Shifted things to give me some room in the front for a clam once I am able to upgrade my lights.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow, it's been a while since I updated this. Lots has changed. As most of you know I did an LED retro into the stock Biocube hood. That writeup is here: http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?12639-DIY-LED-Biocube-retro

I'm very happy with the lights. I did unplug my Red/Turquise string as I was having a bad algae outbreak. Not sure if this was the cause or not, but I'm leaving it unplugged for a couple weeks to test. The colors really come out with these lights. It's fun when people come over to show them the tank with just the True Violet. It really makes the greens come to life.

I redid my rock work last night. I needed to move my hammers down and my SPS a little higher.

Here is the before shot:

Here is after:

I really like this scape. It really opens up the tank. It doesn't feel so cramped. The fish have a ton more room to swim, and more caves to swim through. The sand is also a lot more open so I can get a brain or scolly or something.

I'm working on a stock list and will post that when I get a chance. What do you guys think?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, ton more space. At least I hope.

Drew

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just be careful with the rocks stacked tight to the back wall, hard to get enough flow back there. You may end up with a lot of algae back there. That is the problem I had.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BPreefer;160534 said:
Just be careful with the rocks stacked tight to the back wall, hard to get enough flow back there. You may end up with a lot of algae back there. That is the problem I had.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk
Yea, I was trying to stay away from this but it opens up so much space. I'll watch the back and see how the algae does.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up a few new things over the weekend. Got a 6 head branching hammer, some cool green zoas and a bright pink Gonipora. Anybody want to come over and take some pics? I probably have a frag for you.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Logan. I'll text you and we can set something up.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, been a while since I updated this. Tank has been getting hot lately. Came home one day and the tank was at like 89. So I did what any normal person would do, I bought a chiller from Aaron. Now all I have to do is figure out how to vent the stand properly and I can get this thing hooked up and running. I'm thinking 1-2 200mm fans on the side of the stand should do wonders.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tagging along...which chiller did you pick up?

I put my 1/15hp chiller outside of the stand. When it cycles on it only runs for maybe 20 minutes or so, but it gets HOT in a hurry. I was thinking about doing something similar with fans inside the stand, but decided I may just use that space for an ATO container and keep the chiller out in the open. The nano-cube stand I have is pretty narrow and it just seems like it'd get too hot in there for the chiller to run efficiently without forcing air exchange through that space.

Are you going to wire the fans so that they somehow kick on when the chiller starts running? If you're able to accomplish that, I'd definitely be interested in a little how-to...or just stopping by to check it out ;)

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's a ViaAqua Polar Bear CC25B. It's 1/5 hp. I don't really have a choice other than to put it in the stand, so now I have to figure that out. So far the 200mm+ fans are 30dBA or louder. Gonna need something a lot quieter than that.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ah true...I do remember that corner you have it in kinda limits the options of putting it off to the side. Being that you have an oversized chiller for your tank, you may be able to place it in the stand and rely on its cycle being short enough that too much heat shouldn't build up inside...especially if you plumb it to a pump with a lower flow rate to keep the water running through the coils a little slower.

You could also do something less fancy and use one of those smaller metal desktop fans in the back of the stand. I used to use one for growing out seedlings in a rubbermaid box over the winter for spring planting; it ran quiet and was able to keep a 70gal container with a closed lid and 80W of CFL bulbs at about 78 degrees.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! I am a nano reefer, I used the RapidLED kit for my 12 gal reef and it looks great. Whats nice about rapidled is that you can retrofit their gear to any set up you have. As for the RO/DI, I have not been able to afford a system for my house, so i bought a 10 gal camping jug that i fill at the supermarket. Its kind of a pain but it works. WEEKLY WATER CHANGES!!! YOUR NEW RELIGION!