Halide bulb question

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am running 400w radiums on both of my tanks. One on the tank upstairs and two on the 390. The bulb upstairs is right at one year and needs replaced.

Do different color temperatures produce more or less par. For instance does a 20k radium on same ballast and reflector produce the same par as a 14k ushio or 12500k geisman.

I am debating buying one bulb as experiment because I will need to replace 3 bulbs in about 1 year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Why mess with what is working? Is there something about the radiums you don’t like?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lower K bulbs produce more PAR. This all assumes the same ballast. 20K Radium has a good amount of PAR and looks good, but something like a 10k hamilton will crush it in PAR, but most people do not want a tank that white.

20k Radium is about 14k for-real, so they compare PAR-wise to most 14k bulbs.

He probably does not like that Radiums are some of the most expensive bulbs. :)

The new Hamilton 20k were formulated to be very similar to 20k Radium both in looks and output, but can be run on regular 250w Ballasts and not need m80 HQI - no idea if this is 250w or if this applies to 400w, as well. You could call Hamilton.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do love the radium. The basement tank is so deep that originally I was thinking of changing them to get more par. However those 2 are brand new bulbs about a month or so old. Dont get me wrong stuff is starting to encrust but everyone knows I am not the most patient.

The tank upstairs does need a new bulb as it's over a year old and JDA is right I hate how much the radium cost. Ushio 14 k are 45 dollars right now which is two for one. If there is a par increase from radium to ushio 14k I was going to buy one and test it upstairs. If it works well I was going to convert everything.

I dont mind white or even yellow as halides are in for 4-6 hours and I have supplement light for viewing hours.

I even debated a 6500k bulb.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lower K bulbs produce more PAR. This all assumes the same ballast. 20K Radium has a good amount of PAR and looks good, but something like a 10k hamilton will crush it in PAR, but most people do not want a tank that white.

20k Radium is about 14k for-real, so they compare PAR-wise to most 14k bulbs.

He probably does not like that Radiums are some of the most expensive bulbs. :)

The new Hamilton 20k were formulated to be very similar to 20k Radium both in looks and output, but can be run on regular 250w Ballasts and not need m80 HQI - no idea if this is 250w or if this applies to 400w, as well. You could call Hamilton.
Does the 10k hamilton still allow corals to have good color. Will supplement lights help with the coloration or will this bulb just grow with blah color.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
10k hamilton is a beast. Great pop and white, not yellow. Sand is still white. No need to go 6500k when 10k hammy will do nearly the same thing.