Help me choose a return pump!

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
In efforts to maintain stability I've decided to add a 10 gallon, 3 chamber refugium sump to my 20 gallon nem tank. I will be using an overflow box rated at 200gph. My head height is about 40". I'm looking at these return pumps-Sicce Syncra 1.0 and Eheim Compaction 1000. Another option is the Current USA 6009, (I have the loop system for my powerhead) but the minimum gph is 210. I suppose I could run a T back to the sump inlet for an overpowered pump. I'd like to keep it under $100. If there are any other pumps anyone would recommend let me know thanks!

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sicce is a great pump I’d go w the 2.0 if I was you.
So that pump has a max flow of 568, should I be looking at pumps in this flow range instead? Is it better to have more flow than needed and just run a T with a valve back to the sump inlet?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
So that pump has a max flow of 568, should I be looking at pumps in this flow range instead? Is it better to have more flow than needed and just run a T with a valve back to the sump inlet?
If it’s too much then ya runs t to split the flow. I have one running in my frag tank and it’s only 15 gallons.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sicces have a dial on the pump that you can use to turn down the flow if its to much

ianryd

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ended up going with the Hydor Seltz D 500. Nice little pump so far. Has a slight audible hum, but not too loud. Im running it at 60% and its keeping up just right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app