HELP! Soft Corals Dying

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Salinity back up and I would NOT does Iodine. Water Changes etc should take care of your trace elements. Unless your running a SPS Heavy tank I would would just stick to Water Changes, Standard 2 Part dosing or whatever you use. Like most have said I think your biggest issue is Salinity. Keep us posted and stay away from the Iodine/Iodide :)

HELP! Soft Corals Dying

Well. It's been a few weeks. I tried carbon, I raised my salinity and still nothing makes it. My LFS gave me some small frags to try and they were pulled in and never came out again after a few days, including some zoas. My frogs pawns and mushroom aren't dying but they are barely out. I seriously have no clue what is happening. Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless I missed it, I only see you've raised salinity. What's your other parameters?

CindyL;220529 said:
Stray electricity in the water from a failed pump or heater?
I haven't thought about that before. Would that hurt the fish too though? They are fine and doing great, my shrimp is fine and snails are all over the place crazy. The only thing I feel like is being affected is the corals. I feel so dumb that I can't figure this out!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HELP! Soft Corals Dying

kim5kaiser;220637 said:
Everything else tests fine. I have taken it a sample to two LFS and everything tests fine too. Temp is at 80
What is "fine"? Did they test for copper? What test kits did they use? How old were the test kits? At this point it's time to start questioning everything.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree. Post up your numbers. Something could easily be overlooked. Ie, maybe you're not testing for phosphates.

HELP! Soft Corals Dying

Ok, I'm not sure what tests they used. I use the API test kits and salifert for magnesium.

Ph-8.4
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Phosphate-0
Alkalinity-12
Calcium-420
Magnesium-1290
Salinity-1.025
Temp-78 today

I don't believe anyone has tested for Copper. Where might that come from? Are there single test kits out there I can purchase for Copper? Thanks again for the help.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Copper could be introduced if it was used to treat the tank prior to you picking it up...provided you bought the tank used. Also could leach out of used live rock or sand if those came from a system that you don't know the full history of...might be worth checking if there's copper in there.

Your Alk seems to be higher than it needs to be, and is not really in balance with your Calcium levels. Are you dosing at all? Might be a good idea to slow down or stop dosing and allow your Alk to slowly come down...keep an eye on your Mg and Ca levels during that process. What is your tank stocked with? 12 is definitely high if you're primarily keeping softies.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I had something similiar happen a while back. Checked everything I possibily could, all level were spot on, no stray voltage, I could nto for the life of me figure it out.

Heres what i found. Im sitting in the recliner I have near my tank watchin TV and out fo the corner of my eye I see small grey bubbles. They stopped quickly so I couldnt trace them, but later that night it happened again. Heres what was going on

Salwater was leaking into one fo the heater housings causing a short, but it wasnt enough of a short to trip the GFI and it wasnt releasing any stray voltage into the tank. What it was doing was melting a rubber seal inside the housing of the heater, this was causing smoke, wich was slowly being released into the tank and being blow around by the current.

Once I found the source I removed the heater, did a huge water change and within a couple weeks af regular maintenence tank was pretty much back to normal. Strangest thing I have ever encountered, but may be whats going on with you as well.

HELP! Soft Corals Dying

jahmic;220707 said:
Copper could be introduced if it was used to treat the tank prior to you picking it up...provided you bought the tank used. Also could leach out of used live rock or sand if those came from a system that you don't know the full history of...might be worth checking if there's copper in there.

Your Alk seems to be higher than it needs to be, and is not really in balance with your Calcium levels. Are you dosing at all? Might be a good idea to slow down or stop dosing and allow your Alk to slowly come down...keep an eye on your Mg and Ca levels during that process. What is your tank stocked with? 12 is definitely high if you're primarily keeping softies.
Well I guess what I think is weird is that my tank has been up for over 5 years. No new live rock, no new specimens. The corals had been doing awesome for a year or so and now all of a sudden they are horrible!

HELP! Soft Corals Dying

ReefCheif;220708 said:
I had something similiar happen a while back. Checked everything I possibily could, all level were spot on, no stray voltage, I could nto for the life of me figure it out.

Heres what i found. Im sitting in the recliner I have near my tank watchin TV and out fo the corner of my eye I see small grey bubbles. They stopped quickly so I couldnt trace them, but later that night it happened again. Heres what was going on

Salwater was leaking into one fo the heater housings causing a short, but it wasnt enough of a short to trip the GFI and it wasnt releasing any stray voltage into the tank. What it was doing was melting a rubber seal inside the housing of the heater, this was causing smoke, wich was slowly being released into the tank and being blow around by the current.

Once I found the source I removed the heater, did a huge water change and within a couple weeks af regular maintenence tank was pretty much back to normal. Strangest thing I have ever encountered, but may be whats going on with you as well.
Ok, perhaps I should take out both heaters and put new ones in then?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If you have spares it may be worth a try