Helpful tips

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I always have trouble with my salt getting hard once its opened. I never use a full thing of salt at once and no matter how hard I try moisture gets into it. My solution take a pair of women stockings and fill with rice. Works just like it does in a salt shaker.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Buy quality equipment once.

Find a few tanks you like, research how they are run. Copy copy copy. But first understand each piece of equipment, what it does, why you need it, and alternatives to it before you buy it

Have fun with your fish buddies.

Find someone you trust to answer questions

Buy live stock from reputable dealers.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Never thought of that Andrew, awesome tip! I hate how salt gets nasty. When you're a nano reefer, a bucket of salt lasts a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Andrew_bram;271784 said:
I always have trouble with my salt getting hard once its opened. I never use a full thing of salt at once and no matter how hard I try moisture gets into it. My solution take a pair of women stockings and fill with rice. Works just like it does in a salt shaker.
Ive never had this problem. My salt is always nice and fine. I do keep mine in a bucket that has a rubber seal on the lid, I then take a trash bag and place it over the opening of the bucket and put the lid on. Double barrier. Ive also gone as far to pre measure my salt into smaller buckets with lids. I know if Im making 40 gallons I can dump one entire small bucket of salt into the water and be pretty much good to go. Much easier than doing it scoop by scoop.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;271798 said:
Ive never had this problem. My salt is always nice and fine. I do keep mine in a bucket that has a rubber seal on the lid, I then take a trash bag and place it over the opening of the bucket and put the lid on. Double barrier. Ive also gone as far to pre measure my salt into smaller buckets with lids. I know if Im making 40 gallons I can dump one entire small bucket of salt into the water and be pretty much good to go. Much easier than doing it scoop by scoop.
That is great idea. I am limited by space though.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Andrew_bram;271801 said:
That is great idea. I am limited by space though.

I know all about this, I live in a 900 sqft apartment, and currently run 180 gal. Think about it. You can fit 200 gallons worth of saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket and extremly heavy. You can fit 40 gallons of salt mix into a 2 gallon bucket. Five 2 gallon buckets pre measured is way easier for me to store than one 5 gallon bucket, reason being is the smaller buckets dont wiegh as much, so they can sit up high on a shelf, you can stack them in a corner, they fit under your stand, sit on top of your canopy, etc.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When doing weekly maintenance, i take a bowl of ro water and let my skimmer air intake suck it up... helps clean the salt creep out keeping your skimmer running in top condition.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quality used equipment is better than cheap new.

Cleaning with Hydrochloric/Muratic Acid is cheaper, more effective and safer for your tank than vinegar.

Remember that this is a hobby, not a business (for most of us) - use only disposible money and don't ever refer to anything as an "investment."

Dual control your heaters.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dip/QT EVERYTHING.

Have backups for your backups.

Ask more questions than you think you should.

Distrust anyone who claims to have *the* answer.

Be honest.

Have fun.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Always keep your keys in your pocket so when you go out side to take out the trash and your three year old locks you out you can get back in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wrap it before you tap it! (Use teflon tape to wrap your pvc threaded parts)

Have 2 people you share coral with so you have backups if your tank crashes.

Respect everyone in the reef club.

Beer!

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;271914 said:
Wrap it before you tap it! (Use teflon tape to wrap your pvc threaded parts)

Have 2 people you share coral with so you have backups if your tank crashes.

Respect everyone in the reef club.

Beer!
Reeflo actually has suggested using silicon instead of Teflon because on PVC it puts a lot of stress in the connecting point and can crack it