JuanGutz build-off competition entry

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So just flooded the tank with ro.....
Salinity got down to 1.015. Immediately transferred the shrimp to a different tank and starting draining the water. Had some fresh saltwater for a water change so got that done. Corals aren’t to closed up and the clownfish seems fine. Last I checked I hve salinity back up to 1.020 and slowly working to 1.025/6. Started the ro to top off and wife said she wanted chipotle so off I went. No more topping off with direct ro. From now it’ll be by hand.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shrimp is making small movements here and there :/ feed the guy by hand everyday and he may be a shrimp but I really liked him and hope he pulls thru.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
As of this morning clownfish and all coral are fine. Didn’t look for the shrimp in his new home but he was moving around last night.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 15611 View attachment 15609 View attachment 15607 So life has been hectic. 13 days away from little peanut being here... or at least the wife being induced. See how stubborn he his.

I’ve mainly just been letting the tank coast. Only done a few water changes not near as many as I should be doing but getting back on top. I lost the short polyp torch and birdsnest. Zoas and one tiny trumpet head are doing fine though. Worst thing that’s happened is the garage was heating up cussing both tanks to overheat so I opened the garage door a little and a window on the opposite side. Came downstairs to a car in the garage and the clownfish morning where to be found... Theres a reason I don’t like them and another one added to it. I hand fed that fish everyday, not sure how the cat managed it but never found a body so I’m assuming it ate it. Fuge is doing well and with the more frequent water changes I’m hoping for things to really start growing.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Updated the first post with some corals that were added! I’m going to be doing some large cleaning, add another fish and some coral to get this tank really shining.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 16052 Still working on the tank. Got a frag from mike of utter chaos. Was a single polyp but by the time I picked it up it’s got multiple heads and as you can see got a new clownfish. Need to update totals.

Last edited by a moderator:

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brutal honesty

I’ve done plenty of nano tanks and never had one as disastrous as this one. I’ve always done AIO’s or just a rimless tank. I keep them simple with ato’s, consistent water changes and good flow. I’ve grown sps in a 3g picotope.

I think I can chalk this disaster into two reasons
-over kill equipment for a nano
-not dedicating time into the tank once my son was born

In that past I’ve always kept the nanos very simple, this tank I tried throwing a fuge on it with probably too much chaeto. There wasn’t enough nutrients for the chaeto to absorb and to much lead to die off and nutrients in the tanks. I used a nice light for the tank for a pretty cheap one for the fuge, that led to algae in the DT and not where I wanted it. I think had I not drilled it and done exactly the same techniques I had previously used, this would of been a completely different story. Or even just holding off on the chaeto and waiting till the tank had a bigger bioload and it was needed.

As for the not putting the time into it, honestly my son is an excuse. It doesn’t take much time to do a quick water change. The tank sat so low that I couldn’t get any suction from my python connected to the sink. That made water changes a huge pita. Then I just let it go.

My lesson here and maybe something others can take from.
When starting your tank plan for your expected bioload but know you may implement things Later as the tank cycles and Bioload increases. Stay simple if possible and don’t over complicate things, especially if you know you have a process that works. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

needless to say the tank has been torn down.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm right there with you for some of the same reasons. As first time parents, and both with full time careers, we seem to have little time for hobbies and socializing. I've beat myself up about not taking 10 minutes to do a water change, but it's not always just the time. It's also the energy required and the list of 'other things' that end up taking priority. No regrets though, since becoming a parent has been an incredible blessing.
I have not kept a small reef tank in the past, and I underestimated the additional challenge. You can get away with a little less maintenance with a larger tank, from my experience.