Keeping track of Corals

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I am horrible with names of corals. I am getting some new ones and I wondered how everyone else kept them straight. I was thinking of writting on the bottom of the frag with a sharpie. Would the sharpie hurt anything in the tank?​

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, sharpie will not hurt on a frag plug. There might be a day, however, that you don't want the plugs in your tank. Draw a diagram on a sheet of paper and just jot it down. You can also sharpie on the front of the glass.

I write on the glass when I get new SPS frags until they color up and then I can tell.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Girlfriend was asking the same thing. I bought neon glass markers from Office Depot. $5.00 for 6markers, black, white neon: blue green pink yellow. Straight up wrote on the front of the tank a # in front or next to that coral, and on the side of the tank wrote all names. Was fun and she liked all the pretty colors. +1 on it too cuz under LED or Halide those markers r bright!!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or use an app like aqua planner or aquarimate and take a picture, write in the description you can also add notes like cost, where you bought it, etc.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
The less I think about how much I spend on my tanks, the happier I am, so I'd skip the 'how much I paid for it' part.
I like the idea of taking pics of things and putting them into an ordinary Word document. or a FTS with names and arrows.

But who am I kidding? I'm not gonna keep track of that stuff. Half the corals I buy I don't even know their names at the time of purchase, particularly when it comes to zoas. I think a lot of people fake the names on those to begin with.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i take a FTS, and then in paint or photoshop, put numbers on each coral... then log in excel.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a detailed word document, I'd post it if we could add attachments. Over 4mb in size though.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;262060 said:
Lets see a pic!
I haven't taken one of my current system as things move around on a daily basis. Once I get my display tank running I will.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm working on a website but haven't focused on it much since need to finish a new site for my brother in law's restaurant. My hobby site will be just that, a place to document my set up, not a Business. The domain name Dave's reef was taken.... A lot of domain names were taken so I ended up with Nautical Reef

Tapasdjerez.com is the existing restaurant website
Test.nauticalreef.com is the new web site I'm actively working on
NauticalReef.com is where my hobby site will end up at in a few months