LED Lighting Suggestions

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just wanted to see if there was any particular light that they preferred over another these days. Thinking to dump the DIY LED's from 6 years ago and go with something more mainstream. Apex compatible would be a plus. And if someone has something for sale, let me know...

Shawn

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What's your price range. That is a bigger factor than anything and quality is relatively proportional to cost. If you want apex compatible, look through the list of apex ready and apex ready+ lighting and see which ones fit your budget.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have the Hydra52's, 2 on a 48 L x 30 H x 24 D, and they are plenty strong as evidenced by the pile of BBQ'd SPS I am collecting. I saw something from MACNA that AI is going to come out with a new series called the Hydra HD, which will allow users to overdrive certain LED's....or something like that. I'm not sure the AI's are as popular as the Radions, maybe a superior light.... but someone who has them will have to chime in. I recently added 2 48in. t5 bulbs to my lighting setup, maybe a hybrid LED/t5 setup. I have an Apex and the Hydras are Apex compatible, but I purchased the AI Director (because I didn't have the Apex at the time) so I just run them off of the Director using the AI website for adjustments and setup. It is easy to use and runs the lights very well. Hope that helps a little from the AI side of things! Let me know if you have any more questions.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would like to keep the price under $2000. The tank is 72" x 20" x 24" deep. I will be keeping SPS and clams. My initial search has brought me to the Radion g3 xr30 Pro series. Not sure if I would need to do 2 or 3. I could also see myself integrating some T5's into the mix.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think on 72 inches you would probably need 3, the 2 Hydras barely cover the 48 inches I have (one of the reasons I elected to add the t5's...more coverage). When I was researching the hybrid t5/LED thing people were talking about VHO t12's to supplement the LED's....might be worth checking onto?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have a center brace (that isn't clear), get 4 otherwise you will get a nasty shadow in the middle.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have an SPS dominant tank that I switched from MH to LED then switched back because my colors didn't pop like they did before

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;360394 said:
If you have a center brace (that isn't clear), get 4 otherwise you will get a nasty shadow in the middle.
I have 2x 1/2" x 6" acrylic braces. I could pop 1 over each opening. I am also looking at the Kessil line. Any experience between Kessil and Radion?

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;360395 said:
I have an SPS dominant tank that I switched from MH to LED then switched back because my colors didn't pop like they did before
If I had the choice, I would run MH, but the heat build up would then run me into a chiller. That plus all of the ballasts I would need would pose a problem with regards to room.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;360397 said:
If I had the choice, I would run MH, but the heat build up would then run me into a chiller. That plus all of the ballasts I would need would pose a problem with regards to room.
The heat and humidity in my basement are what made me switch to LED.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I have settled on the 3 Kessils since the Radins are going to be $1000 extra and then supplement with 4x 36" T5's. Any recommendation for the T5's? I was thinking to just do retro fit kits. Bulbs?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've heard good things about the ATI t5 bulbs. Looks like a Coral+ or a Blue+ might be good as a supplemental bulb...I don't know if the Coral+ is too white? Maybe someone else can chime in, I need bulb suggestions as well. I'm looking for coral growth help, not necessarily aesthetics (I don't prefer a whiter or bluer appearance more...I just want growth).

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
szavoda;360438 said:
Yea - it looks like a combo of the ATI Coral + and Blue + or Atinic + will do the job nicely. People seem to be recommending the LET retro kits as well: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-ft-...fit-kit-e6da32eef072f987685b6eddca072d4f.html

I have 4 ATI t5s above my 200 as suppliment to my MHs. Im running 2 Blue+, 1 Coral plus, and 1 true actinic. I run 1 blue+ and true actinic on one ballast and the other two on another ballast so I have a few spectrum options. I would recommend going to see them in person first. I went off some web recommendations when I started tinkering with T5 and didnt like some of the options others had suggested when I saw them myself.

You are more than welcome to come check mine out if you like. I have a par meter as well so we can take some reading if you want to. Im in Westminster just off Federal and 120th.

Just pm me if you are interested in doing that.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I run a retro t5 kit on my 75 and they kick ass. Ati ballasts, with LET reflectors = awesome
ATI bulbs are the way to go either way. Currently for bulbs I run 2 blue+, a purple + and a Aquablue Special
The blue + and the Aquablue special are my favorite bulbs and highly recommend them for any t5 setup

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;360441 said:
I run a retro t5 kit on my 75 and they kick ass. Ati ballasts, with LET reflectors = awesome
ATI bulbs are the way to go either way. Currently for bulbs I run 2 blue+, a purple + and a Aquablue Special
The blue + and the Aquablue special are my favorite bulbs and highly recommend them for any t5 setup
There was some concern that the LET kits at BRS show a HEP ballast instead of the LET ballast. Any idea if this is accurate or a concern?