Light schedule, timers, and all that jazz...

Hi everyone! So I had a question about lighting our Biocube. We are running our stock lighting on our 14G Biocube right now. We are planning on upgrading to better lights in the future. My question is, what kind of schedule is ideal for our tank? Also, is it possible to put these stock lights on a timer (like from Home Depot)? Right now we only have cycling live rock in the tank, but we're also interested in what to do after we get our CUC and fish as well. Thanks!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Light schedule, timers, and all that jazz...

No idea on your lighting cycle, but you can put your lights on HD timers. I like the mechanical ones, as opposed to the digital ones, simply because they seem to last longer. That said mine usually lasted one year. With the mechanical ones you have control in 15 min increments. With the digital ones you have 1 minute increments. To get up to the second control you'll need a controller, or learn to code an arduino ( or similar)

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Light schedule, timers, and all that jazz...

Ive known most people run about 6-8 hours with lights on with great success. Anything more caused algae issues. IMO, the best timers are the 7 day outdoor programmable digital timers from home depot. They are generally waterproof.

Sent from my C771

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I follow the season table on my apex which currently has my lights on for about 12 hours. 7 Hours on the Halides and 12 on the T5's. Not really fighting algae either except on the glass which gets cleaned every 2 days.