Ph calibration issues

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have tried both the calibration fluid that came with my rkl and brs calibration fluid (Milwaukee). Both times I can't get the probe to calibrate correctly, on both the 10 and 4 buffers I get the same numbers. Rinse the probe in rodi both times, etc, and when I finish calibrating it reads my tank as being 42 for ph. what am I missing?

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are using both solutions to calibrate right? You have to set a calibration point using the 10 and then another using the 4. You can't just set both points off of one solution. I'll admit I made that mistake once and was scratching my head for awhile.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;360949 said:
You are using both solutions to calibrate right? You have to set a calibration point using the 10 and then another using the 4. You can't just set both points off of one solution. I'll admit I made that mistake once and was scratching my head for awhile.
I used them each separately. Was saying I've used two different brands of calibration fluids and neither has worked right. I let the probe sit for 10 min in the fluid, packet is clipped to side of sump to keep temp the same, enter in the value for the buffer, wait until it settles into a range on the head unit then hit enter and repeat with the other solution.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;360954 said:
How old is the probe?
It was out of box 1 month ago and tied to set it up then before baby...just getting to it again today.

Oddly enough it's now reading my tank at 8.4ish. Has gone down all day today from where it started.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you let it dry out after taking it out a month ago? If so that might be the issue. Also the pH probes that come with the reef keeper suck anyway. I have yet to have one that was accurate. Personally I think measuring pH is way overrated anyway. As long as calcium, Magnesium and alkalinity are all in check the pH will take care of itself.
Just my 2 cents

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;360969 said:
Did you let it dry out after taking it out a month ago? If so that might be the issue. Also the pH probes that come with the reef keeper suck anyway. I have yet to have one that was accurate. Personally I think measuring pH is way overrated anyway. As long as calcium, Magnesium and alkalinity are all in check the pH will take care of itself.
Just my 2 cents
I left it in tank. I had a bum temp probe, probably have a bum ph probe as well. :(

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;360996 said:
Did u change the rk setting from 4 to ten when u switched fluids?
Yup. Called customer service and they're stumped as well as I did everything right. They said to leave it in the calibration fluid for a few hrs and see if that works.